GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Man's Road Trip! - Nurburgring - Stelvio Pass, etc.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Got back last week from probably the greatest road trip of my life. While ive been to europe countless times never have i driven so much before and been in so many countries in such a short amount of time. 2,900km or about 1,800 miles in the first 6 days (the remaining days were spent in paris and czech so no driving). Felt like i was on a gumball rally with all the driving.

I wont bore you with the typical scenic picture (which can be seen on flickr) I'll show you the road trip stuff.

First off we hit Spa the historic spa-francorchamps f1 track. Originally we planned on just driving up there and checking the track out, but to our suprise there was a track day going on.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

We spent the first hour looking around and checking out the bad ass cars driving down the track.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

To our amazement we were able to sign up there with just a photo id and 50 euro for 20 minutes. No BS like here in the states with track days, they gave us a helmet and a sticker and that was all. Told us to line up at the appropriate time. No stupid lecture and safey rules blah blah blah, it was open to passing like on a race. Only problem was he had a volvo turbo diesel station wagon as a car rental (sucks i know, we originally planned on something sportier but the rental agency "didnt have anything else")

The car :rolleyes: Anways it was a blast, very cool and very fun, but the next day is what we were excited about. The nurburgring.

DSC_0103.jpg

We rolled into this tiny town and i was shocked the place didnt smell like burnt tires and gas. This entire town is about 1 thing and 1 thing only. Cars.... These were some of the car around our hotel. The britts really love this place, they had their cars scattered all over town.

The next morning, awww cute isnt it... we woke up to get ready for the big day.

DSC_0113.jpg

Picking up the rental cars. Expensive, but worth every penny as who knows when i would be returning to drive the track. 350 euros for 1/2 a day with limted km's (sorry about the blury pics!!)

Euro seats! :wub:

The garage of rental cars available, wish i had a garage like that :cool:

We hit the track right when it opened, we were practically the only cars there. Paid for 6 laps and off we went. Unfortunately theres no pics of US driving, but it was by far the scariest and most fun ive ever had. My adrenaline was pumping like crazy. the track was damp in the morning from the previous nights drizzle. I almost lost it a few times. The GTI's were fucking awesome (DSG) and since they were stripped they felt sooo much faster then normal. Only thing i wish they had were better pads. I think they are unable to put track pads since the car has to be road/street legal to enter the track on the days its open to the public.

After returning the car we went back to the track to watch. It was better then an autoshow. Amazing people and cars. We didnt know where to look first with that was going on. 2 people totaled their cars in the morning before the track dried up compeletly.

The car i was driving (not me driving). I had it the first half of the day

After nurburgring we planned on stopping in stuttgart, but decided to go straight for the stelvio pass. We spent the night in austria so we would be as close as possible the next morning.

I'll let the pictures describe the road.

After that it was off to italy for a night and then to monte carlo.

Monte Carlo was awesome, we drove 1 lap of the f1 track which was neat and saw the starting grid. Except the checkered finish line was worn off so you couldnt see it anymore :thumbdown:

After that we saw the Millau Viaduct Bridge on the way to paris which was pretty cool to see, its the tallest vehicular bridge in the world apparently.

Anyways like i said that ended the road trip and the rest was just relaxing. If you want check out the my flickr page for a few pics of my trip.

Too see more pictures please check out my flickr page

Last edited:

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Wow, David! I am absolutely jealous! That is the exact trip I've always wanted to take. I had been to Paris, London, Amsterdam, but never Germany and lower Europe. Driving on the Nurburgring and Stelvio Pass was always something I've wanted to do.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Holy crap that is an awesome road trip... I think the only place u missed was Amsterdam

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Holy crap that is an awesome road trip... I think the only place u missed was Amsterdam

i was in amsterdamn :biggrin:
DSC_0005.jpg

like i said i only talked about the road trip part

we were in

amsterdamn, brussels,nurburg,innsbruck (austria), milan,monte carlo, millau (bridge), paris. and i continued onto czech to prague and the city where im from.

HyeWarrior

Banned
Dude... This is my DREAM of a road trip... Freakin incredible, I pray that I can go to all these places one day in my life time!

Looks like you had a blast, and was that MKVI already for sale or just on display?

BTW, those cars at the track were gorgeous, and the guy on the bike running the track has some serious balls :p

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Dude... This is my DREAM of a road trip... Freakin incredible, I pray that I can go to all these places one day in my life time!

Looks like you had a blast, and was that MKVI already for sale or just on display?

BTW, those cars at the track were gorgeous, and the guy on the bike running the track has some serious balls :p

mkvi were for sale in some countries.... :wink:
SORRY FOR SHITTY CELL PICS

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

IMG00083.jpg

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
i was in amsterdamn :biggrin:
like i said i only talked about the road trip part

we were in

amsterdamn, brussels,nurburg,innsbruck (austria), milan,monte carlo, millau (bridge), paris. and i continued onto czech to prague and the city where im from.

I'm so jealous Euro Road Trip FTW :drool:

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I wondered where you have been :thumbsup:

I just did the same thing a couple months ago and had a blast. London, Amsterdam, Munich, Innsbruck, Venice, Rome, Paris etc etc so it sounds like we went a similar route. I wasn't able to run around the 'Ring which I had planned to do because I simply ran out of time. I plan on going back summer 2010 so hopefully this time around I can go. Still just amazing all the stuff over there, it's SO different than anything over here. Stuttgart and the home of Porsche and BMW was very cool, went to Modena and the homes of Ferrari and Lamborghini too, glad to see you had a good time :happyanim:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
I wondered where you have been :thumbsup:

I just did the same thing a couple months ago and had a blast. London, Amsterdam, Munich, Innsbruck, Venice, Rome, Paris etc etc so it sounds like we went a similar route. I wasn't able to run around the 'Ring which I had planned to do because I simply ran out of time. I plan on going back summer 2010 so hopefully this time around I can go. Still just amazing all the stuff over there, it's SO different than anything over here. Stuttgart and the home of Porsche and BMW was very cool, went to Modena and the homes of Ferrari and Lamborghini too, glad to see you had a good time :happyanim:

:thumbsup: nice, yea we wanted to spend a day in stuttgart to see the porsche and bmw factory but we passed, next time! :smile: i just love how people drive in europe.

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
Awesome pics man. My favorite is that 3dr Audi S3. I want that car so bad that it hurts sometimes. Same color and everything.