GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Best Oil

Slimshiesty

Ready to race!
What is the Absolute best oil ?

Curious, as when i get my first oil change i want the oil to be the best i can get.
Here in Colorado its not unusual to have temps near 0 degrees F, in the winter.
Its not common, but like i said not unusual.

I have seen posts... Mobile 1, Motul, Castrol...
Want the best i can get, without breaking the bank.

Thanks in Advance.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I don't think there is an ultimate BEST oil. For your temperatures, however, it's a good idea to stick to lighter weight oil (0w-40). Just make sure the oil you pick up is approved by VW (I believe the code on the back of the bottle should be VW 502 or VW 504).

I myself run with the Castrol Edge Synthetic 0w-40 European Formula even though it doesn't get very cold down here in CA, but I do a lot of cold starts so the lighter weight suited my needs.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I don't claim to have any knowledge about 1 oil being better than another, I know a lot of people have personal preferences and some have reasons to back it up but my only input is that it should be synthetic and I like the 0w because that should flow better at cold temperatures.

capitan828

Ready to race!
Over on the duramax diesel forums it has been proven via oil analysis tests. Compared it to most other polular brands of synthetic oils and amsoil always had the best results. Oil analysis tests wont lie and they wont just throw opinions at you.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
You are correct in that an oil analysis doesn't lie. It doesn't lie about the car it was done on. That information doesn't apply to vehicles outside that make/model/engine. At best, you can compare two vehicles of the same make/model/engine...and even that doesn't tell the whole story. The amount of variables involved is staggering to say the least.

There is no best oil. There is just the oil that works for your car, your engine, your environment, and your driving habits.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
You are correct in that an oil analysis doesn't lie. It doesn't lie about the car it was done on. That information doesn't apply to vehicles outside that make/model/engine. At best, you can compare two vehicles of the same make/model/engine...and even that doesn't tell the whole story. The amount of variables involved is staggering to say the least.

There is no best oil. There is just the oil that works for your car, your engine, your environment, and your driving habits.

How true, don't we all want the ABSOLUTE BEST OIL for our baby.

capitan828

Ready to race!
Very true that things will change with a different engine. However the duramax is a heavy duty engine and most of those oil samples were done on tuned high hp engines running 500+ hp. So if amsoil could come out on top of all the other brands of oil in those kinds of conditions, im pretty damn sure their 504/507 oil will give similar or even better results in our small engines. Unfortunately when i installed the amsoil bypass filter on my tdi i had to add 2 quarts of amsoil to the castrol that the dealer put into it on the free 10k oil change so it wont give a true castrol vs amsoil oil analysis later when i do a sample. It will give us a pretty good idea though, so ill do it anyway. A sample on the oil thats in it now and a sample on the next one when im running only amsoil. It might be a while though since i can probably go close to 20k with the 2 extra quarts of oil capacity and that bypass filter. I also threw a front mounted oil cooler while i was at it.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Which mobil1 though? There are many. Just like with castrol, just because it's castrol, doesn't mean it is always the same castrol.

Two castrols, one 0w-30 and the other 0w-30, can be completely different formulations. (GC castrol came with a red label, with a made in germany on the back). Nothing is ever as simple as
"use this grade"
or
"don't use this oil "blanket company".

Have to be extremely specific. Something like, don't use mobil1 5w-30 that you get in the 6 pack at costco.

Just going through BITOG UOA's from various vw's and makes, the 0w-40 mobil1 EURO oil is doing quite well. (that is a very specific mobil1 and doesn't mean that other mobil1's might not be a good choice)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The word "Best" just needs to go away. Like every good in the world there is usually benefits and drawbacks of each competitive product. You can't find the oil for you until you give us some details. But if it's VW 502 compliant, it will be more than fine for your car.