GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Zero - Kelvin

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
I found something that amuses me. maybe I just don't know enough about it.... so if you do, explain to me how this is possible.....

Definition of Kelvin -

Absolute zero—the temperature at which nothing could be colder and no thermal energy remains in a substance—is, by definition, exactly 0 K and −273.15 °C.

From a CNN.com article about the Holden collinder breaking down -

When the transformer malfunctioned, operating temperatures rose from below 2 Kelvin to 4.5 Kelvin -- extraordinarily cold by most standards, but warmer than the normal operating temperature.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/18/hadron.collider.transformer.breaks.ap/index.html

so, the way I read this.... 0 Kelvin is the lowest possible temp. period.

but somehow these scientists have found a way to not only operate at or below -2Kelvin..... but also a way to measure it and claim operating at such temps.

am I missing something? :iono:

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Hmm...interesting. Good catch virus. I don't know if it is possible to go below 0K. :iono:

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
The article actually means it was operating from below +2 Kelvin. So basically it operates between 2 and 4.5 K. And there's crazy machinery that physically calculates the temperature as opposed to a simple mercury or alcohol thermometer. Scientists got this stuff on lock :)

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
By below 2 Kelvin, they must mean less than 2 Kelvin (<2 K).

Nobody has attained 0 Kelvin yet, although there are attempts very close.

x2

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
I learnt this in Chem night school last year. Pretty kool stuff. The teacher said if something were to be cooler than 0 kelvin (which is impossible), then the molecules would be seperated and you could theoreticaly put anything through it (ex. you could pass through a socccer net lol). I don`t know if that`s totaly accurate, but it`s what I was told.

xminusx

Banned
I learnt this in Chem night school last year. Pretty kool stuff. The teacher said if something were to be cooler than 0 kelvin (which is impossible), then the molecules would be seperated and you could theoreticaly put anything through it (ex. you could pass through a socccer net lol). I don`t know if that`s totaly accurate, but it`s what I was told.

What school was this? Im going to make sure my kids steer clear of it.