GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on golf 8 purchase pleasr

Marmalade04

Hi all

I ordered a golf mk8 style two weeks ago. I have since found this forum and all the software issues people are having has made me wonder if I should cancel the order.

I can possibly pick it up at the end of this week. I will be a first time vw owner it will be the most expensive car I have bought

I would like to get in the car and think yes I made the right choice and not what error message will I get today.

can I ask please if you had known they had software issues would you have cancelled the order/bought the car?

Any advice would be greatly received

thank you

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
We purchased ours within the past 2 weeks.

Around 2-3 weeks prior to the handover, we also started to worry about software issues, per many posts in this forum.

It's very early days for us, but nothing so far into ownership has made us feel we made the wrong decision.

Keeping this msg short as time will tell! 😁

p.s. keep in mind, that these days most people go onto forums (because they have a technical interest or) to complain or find an answer to a question - far far more than simply going on them to post how nice their car is. In the interests of balance, there are definitely issues out there. It would be interesting to see what percentage of owners are seeing them.

Dhiller007

I completely agree with @p.eTSI 👍🏼
I have my golf now for a few months and still love it, despite a few software issues. The car drives amazing and most of the time everything works perfectly.

I knew about the software issues before I bought mine, but I would still suggest to go ahead with the order !

cp100

new golf 8, purchased it before lock down began and could not go back earlier to the garage as all shut ,it had to go into the workshop while in for the sofware update and the whole of the dash inside the car had to come out something had been rolling around for months , they found 2 bolts left in from when it was built, not happy damaged interior doing it now waiting or that to be replaced. the car had numerous software issues it even braked twice on me while driving and the red crash came up on dash car stopped dead in road but nothing in front of me, god knows how nobody ran into the back of me( try and explain that one "the car did it") , passenger window rattles conatantly, travel assist unavailabe pinging all the time got a bit better after upadate but started again after about 2 days but not as bad we connect keeps disconecting and greying out for days then randomly comes back on sos function waiting to be replaced as that doesnt work ,dont think it has worked since got the car, front parking sensor error popping up all time and the latest one parked my car on a slope , jumped in turned it on out it into revers and car shot forward and PARKING BREAK ERROR ON DASH AND FRONT SENSOR ERROR. tried to get car reversed about 8 time went forward every time then managed to get the break to hold long enough for me to reverse out . ended up about 1 inch away from hitting something in front of me. so now i have a useless unreliable £26.0000 car sat on my drive waiting to go back to garage again.
Do not buy this car

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
We bought our Mk6 in August 2020.

Fantastic engine / gearbox, very high quality Style trim, quiet and refined, excellent mpg. Really love the car. Much better than previous Mk7.5.

We did have problems with repeated ‘dinging’ (travel assist / emergency assist not available). Dealer sorted it out last January with a software update and new steering wheel.

Has been perfect since.

Knowing what I know now, would still have purchased.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Quoting self: "The Auto-hold doesn’t always release straight away from start up, requiring manual release with foot on the brake, the annoying (to me) start/stop is a bit more fiddly to de-activate, the Lane Assist doesn’t like just one row of white dotted lines, as on A-roads, though it works ok with 2 rows. The speedo increasing by 20mph each time is a bit of a thing on UK roads with so many speed cameras as we try to remain below 29, 39, etc mph but a digital speedo can also be displayed, road sign speed display is good as it gives speed warnings as the speed limit changes, though the car insists a local road has a 20mph speed limit (it doesn’t) and it appears to possess the ‘KMH / MPH confusion’ as it sometimes shows the speed limit as 110, presumably 110kmh / 68 mph, Travel Assist & Auto-Hold showed warnings in the digital cockpit then went away, software version is 1803 (this will mean something to Mk8 owners, it’s a later version). The car is on 4yrs PCP anyway so I’m not overly-fussed as long as the car drives ok, which it does, and the safety kit & ‘toys’ work ok, ditto, I won’t be trotting back and forth to & from the dealers."

Update; the auto-hold still doesn't always release straight away and it still sometimes shows the speed limit as 110, presumably 110kmh / 68 mph, the other niggles haven't re-ocurred. Chances are a new car will be ok, I'm not just saying that as I could literally fill the forum with new car hassles I've had & battles with dealers, sometimes you can just be unlucky. Best advice is to make your choice and try not to worry. Good luck....