GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alexa

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I managed to get Alexa to work by logging on to Amazon. It worked for a short while. Just when I thought I might have to set it up again (not sure how to, since the option to enter a code again is no longer available). It worked! Surprise, surprise now it doesn’t. We Connect works so the signal is not an issue. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I managed to get Alexa to work by logging on to Amazon. It worked for a short while. Just when I thought I might have to set it up again (not sure how to, since the option to enter a code again is no longer available). It worked! Surprise, surprise now it doesn’t. We Connect works so the signal is not an issue. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Do you have an active subscription with Cubic Telecom which gives you an Internet connection? Alexa needs an Internet connection to work. Alternatively you could use your phone as a Wifi hotpot and connect to that.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I was under the impression the Golf Mk8 had a built in SIM and is therefore always connected to the internet (signal permitting). Can’t understand why it did work but now doesn’t. The handbook has nothing to offer on this subject.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I was under the impression the Golf Mk8 had a built in SIM and is therefore always connected to the internet (signal permitting). Can’t understand why it did work but now doesn’t. The handbook has nothing to offer on this subject.
It does have a built in SIM but if you don't take out a Cubic Telecom subscription that won't give you Internet access. It does support communication with VW for software updates and notifying VW of problems with your car etc. and you don't have to pay for that. Unfortunately for Internet access you do have to pay.

Is it possible that when you set Alexa up you were connected via WiFi to your home router?

I have Alexa and when my initial 1 month subscription to a data plan expired, Alexa stopped working. When I bought another data plan it started working again.

Hope you sort it out.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Many thanks aitcheff. I’m confused. My dealer’s salesman said nothing about having to pay a subscription to have Alexa. Additionally, the only video I could find about Alexa in the Golf Mk8 on YouTube (Tech In The Car) went through exactly the same set up procedure as I did to get it with no reference to a subscription. It worked a couple of times but not currently. Since VW make a bit of a thing about Alexa in the Golf Mk8 why can’t I find more information about it.
The trouble with modern tech is those that produce it assume that everyone is a techno geek like them.

oakserver

aitcheff is correct. The built in Sim only seems to have a limited use. I have found that the included Sim will allow for software updates, updated satnav maps, searching POI's on the maps and traffic. It won't work with Alexa unfortunately so will need to ether connected your car to your mobile data, or subscribe to a cubic telecom data plan. Alexa could potentially consume a large amount of data so I would guess that they would want to prevent this, especially when many cars are all connecting to it.

@Maturedriver I'm not sure how you had it working without a data plan subscription, and can only guess that at that point in time you had your infotainment system connected via your mobile phone hotspot?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Bloody hell! What a con! What a rip off!
VW makes a bit of a thing about being able to access Alexa in the Golf Mk8 but NO mention of having to pay a subscription either in the brochure or by the salesman. Doesn’t explain why I got it to work a couple of times unless it was a free limited time teaser. Not paying £60 a year on principle.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Just out of curiosity, what sort of things can you use Alexa for in the Golf?
The main reason I use it is to be be able to play my Spotify or Amazon Music easily in my car. The other alternative would be to use Android Auto and go via my phone to play my music, but at the moment Android Auto does not work wirelessly so the phone needs to be plugged into a USB port.

Also Alexa seems to be much better at understanding voice commands than "My Volkswagen" (I wish you could say "My VW"!). So Alexa can also switch radio stations, but I don't think it can, for example, adjust the Climate setting.

When my Cubic Telecom subscription expires I will have to consider whether it's worth paying the price for these benefits.

Snowman8888

Thanks #aitcheff, much appreciated. I have a new Golf coming in the next few weeks so looking forward to trying it out against Android Auto. Voice commanded navigation is important to me (i have a hopeless sense of direction) as would using Qobuz (similar to Tidal). Thanks again

aniyatcervantes

You can try resetting the device. It often helps resolve issues with connectivity and functionality.
If resetting the device doesn't work or you're looking for more troubleshooting advice, you should check out Multitechverse. They offer tech support services for various devices, including Alexa. They can help you diagnose the issue and come up with a solution.

Last edited:

KWH

I managed to install Alexa by switching network to my home router. Once I had returned it to the installed eSim it worked for a short while and now does not respond to any voice commands so I've deleted it as I cannot see any benefit from having it.