GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ambient light sensor and tint...and some Huper Optik too

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been reading that too dark tint % can mess with the dash ambient light sensor. Is there a certain tint % that doesn't effect the sensor?

I'm curious because I'm planning on having tint installed and i don't think i'll be going darker than 40%. Trying to sell myself on Huper Optik C40,C50. I have Huper Ceramic C20 on my 300zx, and I'd like the GTI to be more night time friendly, and not as reflective. C20 is 14%.

BTW, let's see you Huper Optik pictures! Any others appreciated as well. :D

thanks!

PS - if i posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it.:eek:

Last edited:

SM075180

Ready to race!
I've been reading that too dark tint % can mess with the dash ambient light sensor. Is there a certain tint % that doesn't effect the sensor?

I'm curious because I'm planning on having tint installed and i don't think i'll be going darker than 40%. Trying to sell myself on Huper Optik C40,C50. I have Huper Ceramic C20 on my 300zx, and I'd like the GTI to be more night time friendly, and not as reflective. C20 is 14%.

BTW, let's see you Huper Optik pictures! Any others appreciated as well. :

thanks!

PS - if i posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it.[emoji33]

This is Suntek CIR on the sides, 40 on the hatch. The windshield has a “clear” ceramic tint too that negligible in darkening the overall photos I think. It’s like 80-90% VLT.

I feel I could’ve gone 40 all the way around and still been plenty happy avoiding direct attention of cops and retaining visibility.

Suntek does worse than Rayno film at heat rejection in my past experience but looks a little better. For what it’s worth if you end up considering other brands.

I’d be happy to share more photos if you want. Just PM me or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have a TDI S so can't speak to where the sensor for auto headlights might be. But I have 20% all around. And 50% on the front windshield.

As far as the ambient light sensor for the dash, during the day the brightness of the gauges/needles is not adjustable using the adjuster beside the headlight switch. Once it starts to get dark outside my dash dims to the setting I have chosen for night time and becomes adjustable.

If that's the operation you're speaking of my tint has had zero effect on it. You should be fine with 40%.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The one that controls the gauge cluster. Is there one that controls the headlights? Where is that?
The one that controls factory auto headlights should be at the base of the rear view mirror, where it connects to the windshield. The Sport trim doesn't have this due to the lack of auto headlights.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
He is referring to the little sensor that is physically located in the tachometer face. Tint will effect it, and make the gauges dim faster, because the car thinks it's getting darker sooner, which means it will be harder to see the speedo at dusk. That light of a tint won't effect it much, but it will effect it. I used to have a 2015 that had 18% on everything but the windshield and I had to play with coding to adjust the curve on the dimming, but didn't have it quite right because while it worked for what I needed it to, it wasn't as smooth of a dimming curve as stock so it eases noticeable whenever I was driving at dusk.

I wouldn't worry about it too much tho. You should be fine.