GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

An Attempt at HDR, and it....

omegach

Banned
nice, but generally w/ HDR shots you're gonna be increasing highlight+shadow detail...

in your HDR shot it looks like you're losing highlight detail in the windows

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
yeah, it's not perfect but it works for me. i just need to fiddle with settings so i can get a good mixture. or just get a better camera. lol.

pbfoot

Ready to race!
looks like you went with a little too much over exposure as compared to under.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Agreed. I used to do 3 exposures. But found, recently, that 6-9 make WAY better images.

i just said there is no need for that many images. i've tried with both and see no difference in outcome

InfraRed

Driving on the wrong side
not to beat a dead horse... but 3 exposures will NOT give you the tonal range you need.

this could be true, but i guess then again it all depends on the environment and subject that you are trying to shoot, and how broad of a range you really want to display in your photograph.

i do the 3 exposures because i find it easiest to use the autobracketing mode on the camera so it takes the shots for me, instead of risking touching the camera and getting the slightest amount of "shake", since i don't have a remote.

also another benefit of 3 shots is less risk of noise when compared to 15 or so shots.

just my .02
:thumbup:

MKVCrowing

computer geek
this could be true, but i guess then again it all depends on the environment and subject that you are trying to shoot, and how broad of a range you really want to display in your photograph.

i do the 3 exposures because i find it easiest to use the autobracketing mode on the camera so it takes the shots for me, instead of risking touching the camera and getting the slightest amount of "shake", since i don't have a remote.

also another benefit of 3 shots is less risk of noise when compared to 15 or so shots.

just my .02
:thumbup:

all very valid and informative!! But get the Canon intervalometer... totally worth the price for time lapse as well as the remote functionality!

MKVCrowing

computer geek
guys i'm feeling a little neglected. :brokenheart:

some feedback plz?

:iono:

dude that was so one page ago....

sorry I meant to give props and totally got distracted... looked really nice... that location was made for HDR...

do you have a strobe set up or by off camera flash did you just mean a hot shoe sync cord?

omegach

Banned
i do love me some props! rofl

i've got an sb-600 which can be triggered wirelessly via IR. i'm a flash newb, so i'm still figuring stuff out. but i think there isn't enough light on the gti as the shot is right now...

hell i don't even know if you can use a flash when doing HDR stuff. :|

omegach

Banned
Sorry to hi-jack, but what are the baby steps for learning the fundementals on photoshooting. It is way more complicated than it seems, and i really would like to learn this. Any suggestions from PROs?
photoshoots in general? or specifically HDR?

Here is a good HDR tutorial:

http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm

On page 4 it even goes into techniques for bracketing. Enjoy!

BTW, nice shot omegach.
wow, quite an in-depth tutorial. good stuff. and thanks. :]

omegach

Banned
there are a couple things to consider when takin pics of your car

location - an interesting backdrop always helps
time of day - night shots, sunset shots, etc
amount of light - if you're taking shots at night, tripod is a must
color of your car - the darker your car the more reflections you're gonna get

that's about it... other than that be creative w/ angles and what not