GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any cyclist on here

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Most of my friends use Speedplay. I've been using them for close to 10 years. I like the larger platform of the Speedplay cleats...and its also two sided. Since they are not made of plastic...the Speedplay cleats don't tend break when they start to wear down. One of the reasons Shimano is more common is because they cost less. The Speedplay costs a bit more. I'm using the Zero with the stainless spindles.

If you don't have Keep-on-covers on the speedplay cleats, or Speedplay's walkable covers... what gets ground down is the metal plate and especially the screw heads.

But speedplay is very maintenance intensive, and especially if you accidently walk on a patch of dirt, it's going to interfere with clipping in. Yes, it's easy to put some dry-lube (like Finish Line Dry) on the cleats, and the annual pushing new grease (good ole Supertech Marine Grade grease) through the spindle bearings isn't that hard, just messy.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Quantico Marine Corp base has a trail network. They let non DoD civilians on for certain events, such as....

http://www.quanticoepic1.qmtb.org/

I remember the "Elevator" trail was a difficult climb, with a couple of asthma attacks to climb it.

Our local rails to trails trail is cut off by the base. Theres 15 miles you can do in town with no base access. But around 70 miles on base. Every time I get to the main gate I'm thinking you mf'ers. I helped pay for that trail.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I see you got some Speedplay pedals. You don't see too many people using Speedplay. Mostly Shimano pedals.
I'm on the same pair I've had since 1996, probably half a dozen sets of cleats in. My three bikes have exactly zero pieces of Shimano on them. Even the kid's is Shimano free. We won't talk about the wife's though.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I had Speedplays on an old bike and I was indifferent.
When I picked up the TCR I happened to get a great deal on the carbon Ultegra pedals so I bought those.
And that is the only Shimano I have on MY bike lol. I like my SRAM.
However my wife's TCR is all Shimano.

totalrecall98

Gravel bike would be so much better. That's going to be my next purchase, a carbon fiber framed gravel bike

Honestly, getting a gravel bike inspired me to get out more and explore the trails and paths I never considered riding using either a road bike or mountain bike before my purchase.

Btw, carbon is a great choice paired with a tubeless setup if comfort and light weight top your list of priorities.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly, getting a gravel bike inspired me to get out more and explore the trails and paths I never considered riding using either a road bike or mountain bike before my purchase.

Btw, carbon is a great choice paired with a tubeless setup if comfort and light weight top your list of priorities.
Have tubless on my hardtail, with Stan's rims... no inner tube rimstrip for me.

My old cross bike, that doubled as a commuter in LA, before it got stolen at a Federal building, was also tubeless, Stan's Alpha 440 rims.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Have tubless on my hardtail, with Stan's rims... no inner tube rimstrip for me.

My old cross bike, that doubled as a commuter in LA, before it got stolen at a Federal building, was also tubeless, Stan's Alpha 440 rims.
Tubeless and carbon is even better. But tubeless of any type is certainly better than tubes. Just picked up the Stans plugger thing, hoping not to need it, but will allow not carrying a tube on some test rides.

FactoryR

Ready to race!
I just stumbled upon the thread. The bike has been a lifesaver during quarantine. I've been riding for 5 or 6 yrs now. This is my first road bike, and still only. Its a Venge Expert, either 13 or 14' model I believe. I avg. about 2k/miles year. Also have a specialized epic 29er which sees far less action, but still ride from time to time when the friends want to hit the trails.

Doing some downhill at Keystone a few summers ago.

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed
Just built this up a couple weeks ago. 2019 Kona Rove LTD frameset with a whole list of self-indulgent goodies. Competent on road and single track, and a beast on anything gravel. Been having a ton of fun just heading in a general direction and riding whatever I find--pavement, gravel, public land trails, MTB trails...

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Just built this up a couple weeks ago. 2019 Kona Rove LTD frameset with a whole list of self-indulgent goodies. Competent on road and single track, and a beast on anything gravel. Been having a ton of fun just heading in a general direction and riding whatever I find--pavement, gravel, public land trails, MTB trails...

I see you got Eggbeaters for pedals.... I broke a candy before, and when on vacation, biked to Crank Brothers' HQ and they repaired my broken candy pedal on the spot. Too bad the cleats are a soft brass, so you have to replace the cleats regularly.

Before gravel bikes existed, I liked going to 6 mile run with my cross bike

bentin

Autocross Champion
I see you got Eggbeaters for pedals.... I broke a candy before, and when on vacation, biked to Crank Brothers' HQ and they repaired my broken candy pedal on the spot. Too bad the cleats are a soft brass, so you have to replace the cleats regularly.

Before gravel bikes existed, I liked going to 6 mile run with my cross bike
I used to live a few blocks from them in Laguna Beach. Never liked their pedals, hiked out of trials with lots of friends with them. I've run Times for ages, but swapped out to flats a few years ago and don't miss clips at all. I do run Speedplays for road though, too much soccer and shoddy knees.