GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any here into retro gaming?

1L19

Autocross Champion
Missed the old days playing CS with friends against another team.
I played CS league back in the day when they had private servers. I can still remember when steam came out and we were all waiting with our fingers spamming the account creator so we could get in and play. I had no idea that far in the future a low steam ID would be worth a considerable chunk of change.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2707

Thank you Counter-strike

1L19

Autocross Champion
I'm obviously old because my retro games are a lot older than your retro games. I started playing Colossal Cave Adventure on a TRS-80 in the mid '80s. However my very favorite game of all time... the one I have more hours in than any other... is Nethack. I still play often and nothing is ever going to touch it for me.

Yes it uses ASCII graphics with a top down model where the NPCs are all letters and numbers (you are the mighty @ symbol) and you'd really have to want to play as you need to set up Putty to connect to the server but still... never have I experienced such fantastic game play from a title that is VERY hard but winnable.

https://www.thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/

Here is the wiki but I highly suggest you give it a go without any additional information. You WILL seek it out once you die the 25th time.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

North American Nethack server: https://alt.org/nethack/

Just as an example of some cool mechanics. If you kill a cockatrice and you pick it up without gloves, or you eat it, or you trip over it on the floor (blinded) you turn to stone and you are dead. It takes a few turns though so you "can" stop it with the right action.

However, if you kill a cockatrice and you ARE wearing gloves you can pick it up, equip it as a weapon and one shot most NPCs by turning them to stone.

When you are logged in and playing others can watch your game and send you "mail" to give you a hint and what not.

Game is very hard. Takes some work to set up an a bit of practice to get the movement down. Still I've never had more fun playing a game. I highly doubt anyone would want to try it but if you do hit me up and I'll help.

Diablo? Based on Nethack but nowhere near as good.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm obviously old because my retro games are a lot older than your retro games. I started playing Colossal Cave Adventure on a TRS-80 in the mid '80s. However my very favorite game of all time... the one I have more hours in than any other... is Nethack. I still play often and nothing is ever going to touch it for me.

Yes it uses ASCII graphics with a top down model where the NPCs are all letters and numbers (you are the mighty @ symbol) and you'd really have to want to play as you need to set up Putty to connect to the server but still... never have I experienced such fantastic game play from a title that is VERY hard but winnable.

https://www.thegreatestgameyouwilleverplay.com/

Here is the wiki but I highly suggest you give it a go without any additional information. You WILL seek it out once you die the 25th time.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

North American Nethack server: https://alt.org/nethack/

Just as an example of some cool mechanics. If you kill a cockatrice and you pick it up without gloves, or you eat it, or you trip over it on the floor (blinded) you turn to stone and you are dead. It takes a few turns though so you "can" stop it with the right action.

However, if you kill a cockatrice and you ARE wearing gloves you can pick it up, equip it as a weapon and one shot most NPCs by turning them to stone.

When you are logged in and playing others can watch your game and send you "mail" to give you a hint and what not.

Game is very hard. Takes some work to set up an a bit of practice to get the movement down. Still I've never had more fun playing a game. I highly doubt anyone would want to try it but if you do hit me up and I'll help.

Diablo? Based on Nethack but nowhere near as good.

Zork 1 was the first game I bought.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Jumping in (it's 4.28am and as usual I can't freaking sleep !) I literally loved game playing on my Commodore64 & Commordore Amiga, original Xbox & PS2, and if Carrier Command (hi-speed aircraft carrier navy battles with controllable fighters & fighter / bombers + amphibeous tanks & vehicles for island battles, exploring and base building) & especially Frontier: Elite 2, (the follow up to Elite wth better graphics, more options & literally infinite misions), were released on Playstaion (?) or Xbox (?) I'd probably never go out and not even care about or notice the real world. Oh and a sequal to Knights Of The Old Republic 1 & 2 (Star Wars adventure role play) too please....

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Jumping in (it's 4.28am and as usual I can't freaking sleep !) I literally loved game playing on my Commodore64 & Commordore Amiga, original Xbox & PS2, and if Carrier Command (hi-speed aircraft carrier navy battles with controllable fighters & fighter / bombers + amphibeous tanks & vehicles for island battles, exploring and base building) & especially Frontier: Elite 2, (the follow up to Elite wth better graphics, more options & literally infinite misions), were released on Playstaion (?) or Xbox (?) I'd probably never go out and not even care about or notice the real world. Oh and a sequal to Knights Of The Old Republic 1 & 2 (Star Wars adventure role play) too please....
Did you see the Knights of the Old Republic remake/remaster Sony showed last week?

autonoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Retro games are not my cup of tea, I prefer shooting games something that will give me an adrenaline rush.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i'm into 'retro' style mobile games. two of my favorites:

tomb of the mask (AWESOME and simple game)
smashy road most wanted 2

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I'm playing Master of Orion 2.

I can't play newer games anymore since I have the attention span of a goldfish when it comes to character dialog.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Just stumbled across this thread..... Not super into retro gaming but enough to mod a raspberry pi running RetroPie into an Arcade 1up Mortal Kombat II cabinet. My oldest boy loves it and even the wife gets to play Donkey Kong on N64. They've had more bat time than me.