GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any idea what's supposed to go here?

josephvman

I noticed this area of my rear hatch, which looks like is supposed to hold something, or have a cover over it. I picked up my car last week, USA model. Any ideas?

2021120912004498--2444185620975992732-IMG_1725.jpg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It’s a slot for a warning triangle. It’s not supplied with the car but I think there’s VW version can be bought from the dealer, although there are probably warning triangles for sale cheaper on various on line sites, but they might not all fit the slot in the hatch trim.

josephvman

I figured it was something like that. My BMW 1M coupe had a similar slot in the trunklid, and since i picked it up at the factory I had to buy the triangle to be legal in DE.

Does anyone know if the triangle for the MK7 fits the MK8?

Thanks!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Weird that it doesn't have a cover like the Mk7. I guess I'll order one for my R on order, don't want to see that empty slot. It doesn't bother me on my Mk7.5 since it's covered.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Weird that it doesn't have a cover like the Mk7. I guess I'll order one for my R on order, don't want to see that empty slot. It doesn't bother me on my Mk7.5 since it's covered.
Probably down to cost cutting and saving a few £’s / $’s here and there, in the same way that compared to the mk7;
  • the cup holders in the centre console no longer has a sliding cover
  • the bonnet has to make do with a manual prop rather than a gas strut
  • there‘s no longer a sunglasses holder above the rear view mirror
  • there’s no storage cubby in the lower dash by the driver’s knee.
There are probably other small cost cutting measures I’ve forgotten in addition to the above.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Probably down to cost cutting and saving a few £’s / $’s here and there, in the same way that compared to the mk7;
There are probably other small cost cutting measures I’ve forgotten in addition to the above.
Wait, what?!

Yeah, I had a Mk7 and Mk7.5 and there was a lot of cost cutting there too. We lost the under seat drawer, a/c vent in the glove box, spare tire liner, chrome nits on the window controls, under hood insulation (kind of a good thing), the top of the battery blanket and a few other things.

The new cup holders look like a mess, but in the US, we didn't get the cover anyway, we had a manual hand brake in the GTI and Golf (not R) instead.
I'm okay with the hood prop, just one less thing to fail and whack me in the head a few years down the road.
The sunglass thing has me rethinking the whole purchase (mostly kidding)
The cubby is my change drawer, now I'll probably start a fire putting my loose change on the wireless phone charger.

josephvman

You left out the slide-out drawer underneath the driver's seat. This new car is maddening, and frankly after only 11 days with it I'm not sure the improvements have been worth the tradeoffs. I find myself constantly frustrated by the terrible voice functions and having to go through multiple screens to change temp or turn on the seat heaters.

3Peaks

Does anyone know - does the Mk8 GTi have that same open hole, or is it covered? If so, would the cover also fit the R? The dealer I got my R from was as mystified by the open hole as I was...

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Does anyone know - does the Mk8 GTi have that same open hole, or is it covered? If so, would the cover also fit the R? The dealer I got my R from was as mystified by the open hole as I was...
Don’t know about the US market, but mk8 GTI’s in the UK have the same open slot in the tailgate / hatch trim panel; see discussion thread over on the Golf GTI forum at the link below;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287494.0