GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any one a bug expert?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Roaches are nothing if you've had to deal with a waterbug.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
God was crazy for creating that one
And they can survive a nuclear blast. When I grew up in Ohio I only ever saw very small cockroaches. When I moved to Arizona they are 5 times bigger. When I bought a house in Phoenix it was gutted and being remodeled before I moved in. I stopped by daily to check on the progress and there would always be a few dead ones inside. One day I was spraying insecticide around a tree that had ants and all of a sudden cockroaches started coming up from underground. I was happy to find that nest before I moved in.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Need help identifying a bug. It's been driving me insane, but I'm 90% sure these bugs are flying ants. View attachment 218487

pic turned potato.

how large, how many body segments?

Seems to be a winged black carpenter ant.. which isn’t good if you keep seeing them.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
pic turned potato.

how large, how many body segments?

Seems to be a winged black carpenter ant.. which isn’t good if you keep seeing them.
Well shit, I could see that being the case. They don't look like termites at all, so carpenter ants could be the case. In Las Vegas, we do have some carpenter ants (not as bad up north) but they're still out here.
As for size, they're pretty small. They've been attracted to monitor light. They don't seem to bite me or anything either, sort of like little gnats. Should I get bug spray, or hire an exterminator? This house did previously have ants in it before, but that was taken care of several years ago.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Well shit, I could see that being the case. They don't look like termites at all, so carpenter ants could be the case. In Las Vegas, we do have some carpenter ants (not as bad up north) but they're still out here.
As for size, they're pretty small. They've been attracted to monitor light. They don't seem to bite me or anything either, sort of like little gnats. Should I get bug spray, or hire an exterminator? This house did previously have ants in it before, but that was taken care of several years ago.
If they are carpenter ants you can get some ant bait that will take care of them. Spraying insecticide doesn't work well for ants. You'll kill the ones you can see. But with the bait they take it back to the nest and it wipes them out.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
If they are carpenter ants you can get some ant bait that will take care of them. Spraying insecticide doesn't work well for ants. You'll kill the ones you can see. But with the bait they take it back to the nest and it wipes them out.
Dope. I think that may be the best way about it. I'll pick some up at the store tomorrow morning while I'm out.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
This time of year is protein collection for carpenters, so go with that type of bait. I had a massive nest in the post on my front porch, the scouts were popping up on my work desk.

C68D58B1-69F5-4A62-ABA4-4C2E997F63C4.jpeg
CB17023A-C0B5-4216-80AA-F56430ECC433.jpeg
E2A870D6-543C-4214-83E6-624024F3ACA4.jpeg
8E362637-11D8-4869-A078-CB380E676A4B.jpeg
E6C0BD63-5281-48F4-9B1E-FA04E93F1AB7.jpeg

The exterminator hit them with straight permethrin then dusted for those out of the nest. We dig till we found the queen and made sure she was dead to solidify the colony’s kill.

Carpenters are sneaky bastards and will do their best to avoid you. If you see one, you are missing all the rest. Look around your property for sawdust piles. They clear out the soft wood between the growth rings for their galleries.

once you find the nest go scratched earth on them.. if you disturb the nest and not kill it, they’ll leave and find a new place. Established colonies will form satellite nests of workers as a midpoint for the movement of food to the main colony.

also go around your house to find any vegetation leaning against it and clear it off. Then get a perimeter spray/dust to catch them as they return to the colony to poison the rest.

Honestly I tried baits, baits mixed with cat food/tuna... nothing took them out shy of tearing the colony up and killing them all.

here’s a vid of the assholes.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
This time of year is protein collection for carpenters, so go with that type of bait. I had a massive nest in the post on my front porch, the scouts were popping up on my work desk.

View attachment 218756View attachment 218757View attachment 218758View attachment 218759View attachment 218760
The exterminator hit them with straight permethrin then dusted for those out of the nest. We dig till we found the queen and made sure she was dead to solidify the colony’s kill.

Carpenters are sneaky bastards and will do their best to avoid you. If you see one, you are missing all the rest. Look around your property for sawdust piles. They clear out the soft wood between the growth rings for their galleries.

once you find the nest go scratched earth on them.. if you disturb the nest and not kill it, they’ll leave and find a new place. Established colonies will form satellite nests of workers as a midpoint for the movement of food to the main colony.

also go around your house to find any vegetation leaning against it and clear it off. Then get a perimeter spray/dust to catch them as they return to the colony to poison the rest.

Honestly I tried baits, baits mixed with cat food/tuna... nothing took them out shy of tearing the colony up and killing them all.

here’s a vid of the assholes.
The bait worked great for me. I found their nest where they were going into the ground and sprinkled the bait around it and the next morning it looked like a war zone. Dead ants all over the area. Never saw them again. No digging.

Corprin

Autocross Champion