GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone drive a Genesis G70 3.3T?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
My GTI is going on 5 years old, and I'm thinking about the next step. It's either Golf R or G70. From what I see online, it looks like G70s are not being marked up the way Golf Rs are, which basically offsets the price difference.

Opinions?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
How quickly are you looking to get into a new car? I put a deposit on a RS3 4 months ago and I still know absolutely nothing about my order. I only say that because I've heard R's are even harder to get. It's a game of calling a bunch of dealers to find one that sells at msrp then getting your name on the list to wait an unknown amount of time, or paying over msrp to get one sooner.

I see my dealer has 11 G70s in stock right now with a few more on the way. That's something you could actually take a look at and take it for a test drive.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
How quickly are you looking to get into a new car? I put a deposit on a RS3 4 months ago and I still know absolutely nothing about my order. I only say that because I've heard R's are even harder to get. It's a game of calling a bunch of dealers to find one that sells at msrp then getting your name on the list to wait an unknown amount of time, or paying over msrp to get one sooner.

I see my dealer has 11 G70s in stock right now with a few more on the way. That's something you could actually take a look at and take it for a test drive.
I can wait a year or two, but I still don't want to deal with all that nonsense of finding a dealer that doesn't markup the price and waiting an unknown amount of time. If G70s are easier to acquire, that's a huge advantage for me.

Would be interesting to read any driving impressions people might have in comparison between these cars though, if anyone has any.

bentin

Autocross Champion

Some of the problem with the RS3 and Golf R is the new Magna rear diffs were originally manufactured in Russia. Putin screwed up our timeline. They've managed to get production moved to Latvia, but it's been slow going. This is one reason you see plenty of GTIs and A3/S3s but very few R's and RS3's.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Some of the problem with the RS3 and Golf R is the new Magna rear diffs were originally manufactured in Russia. Putin screwed up our timeline. They've managed to get production moved to Latvia, but it's been slow going. This is one reason you see plenty of GTIs and A3/S3s but very few R's and RS3's.
It seems like everybody that originally had an eta for the end of this year got pushed back to about May. Someone that works for audi was saying if you don't already have an allocation you most likely won't be getting one for at least this model year.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Buy a lightly used S6 for same or less price than G70 3.3 and chip it and you have 487whp/585 and a beautiful interior and of course a great handling car.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Buy a lightly used S6 for same or less price than G70 3.3 and chip it and you have 487whp/585 and a beautiful interior and of course a great handling car.
Too big. Looking for a compact.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I didn't realize the G70 was that short, pretty impressive. Shorter than a CT4 or S4 too. I have a guy in Ft Worth that I'm getting my R for MSRP, if you're interested. Our local dealers are both crazy. I'm also on the list with one of the dealers in San Antonio for sticker, but I'm further down that list, I think I'm 7 there, while I'm next up for a regular R and second for a 20AE at the Ft Worth dealer.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
G70 3.3T is 10in shorter than the S6 and about 10in narrower. G70 is more of an intermediate than a compact.

If you really want an Audi/VW compact, there are choices but if you don't care about platform then the Hyundai seems like it would be fun.

I personally would stay VW/Audi and if I wanted a Golf R but couldn't get on then I would probably look for a lightly used S3 and put the APR turbo emissions friendly kit on there which can easily get you to 400whp and still be less than the Hyundai.

bentin

Autocross Champion
G70 3.3T is 10in shorter than the S6 and about 10in narrower. G70 is more of an intermediate than a compact.

If you really want an Audi/VW compact, there are choices but if you don't care about platform then the Hyundai seems like it would be fun.

I personally would stay VW/Audi and if I wanted a Golf R but couldn't get on then I would probably look for a lightly used S3 and put the APR turbo emissions friendly kit on there which can easily get you to 400whp and still be less than the Hyundai.
The S3 is Haldex, while the G70 is rwd, from a driving dynamics standpoint, that’s a pretty big difference. If the CT4 BW had anywhere near Golf R resale retention, I’d be all over one instead of the VW.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
What about the Stinger GT? Isn't it just the hatchback version? I think it's being discontinued, so might be able to get a deal.

Reactions: WAP

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
What about the Stinger GT? Isn't it just the hatchback version? I think it's being discontinued, so might be able to get a deal.
I've considered a Stinger in the past, but I've heard too many horrible things about the Kia dealer experience. By contrast, Genesis has a concierge service where they actually pick up your car for maintenance and give you a loaner while it's being worked on. I want the luxury brand amenities at this point. My wife is buying a crossover, so I won't necessarily need a hatch anymore. I'm thinking a smaller sport sedan is the next move for me.

Last edited: