GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Figure Out How to Extend Lane Assist?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I complained about that months ago as a disappointment and got lambasted by the usual cast of characters and was told if I don't like it buy another car.

From what I can tell, there's no way to change it. In my '18 R it goes left and bounces back, goes right and bounces back and on the third bounce from the left, it turns off and lets me run off the road to the right. Yeah, yeah it's lane ASSIST. Sure, I get that but to just give up and kill the driver...... That's kinda lame. Would be nice if there was a counter that you could increase to 10 during which the dash says "Grab the wheel!" then starts a high pitched buzzer and then flashes and yells in a nice German voice "Grabben das steeringwheelthingy!" and THEN turns off and kills you.

But three bounces is pretty much useless.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I complained about that months ago as a disappointment and got lambasted by the usual cast of characters and was told if I don't like it buy another car.

From what I can tell, there's no way to change it. In my '18 R it goes left and bounces back, goes right and bounces back and on the third bounce from the left, it turns off and lets me run off the road to the right. Yeah, yeah it's lane ASSIST. Sure, I get that but to just give up and kill the driver...... That's kinda lame. Would be nice if there was a counter that you could increase to 10 during which the dash says "Grab the wheel!" then starts a high pitched buzzer and then flashes and yells in a nice German voice "Grabben das steeringwheelthingy!" and THEN turns off and kills you.

If your refering to the lane centering, that CAN be changed via VCDS, you can even code a menu option to select how "aggressive" it is. in NA the default value is the least aggressive (bounce off lanes rather than keeping it centered). The instructions are somewhere in the MK7 Golf R VWVortex VCDS thread (and I'm sure somewhere here as well).

EDIT2: Found them;
Adaptive Lane Tracking
A5 - Driver Assistance
Security code 20103
Long Coding:
"Point_of_intervention" - “early (setting via menu)” (default = late)
Option can now be turned on or off in MIB under “Lane Keeping System (Lane Assist)

OP: if your referring to the length of time before it deactivates, I'm not sure if there is any VCDS mods that can be done

EDIT: I misunderstood the OP question - fixed

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
You can't change how quickly it deactivates.
Correct. I've adjusted the settings q74 alluded to but they merely change how quickly it decides to interact. Still does nothing after the 3rd "bounce". Driver dies.

And, in case anyone is interested the stupid system reacts quicker and more forcefully to power line shadows on the road than it does to the freaking dashes or solid lines marking the lanes. I've shown my friends how the Golf R has the lane assist and, after checking that the system is active and I loosen my hold on the steering wheel, several times the car just goes right onto the lane markers (left or right) and sometimes right over the Botts' dots without correcting. My friends get a kick out of that. "Which lane is it keeping, the other one?" Yep.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Gave up and bought a Comma Two, infinitely better.
How do you like it? I've been interested in OpenPilot for quite some time, but haven't purchased anything yet. The Comma Three looks nice, but pricey.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

3 times is plenty of time to read that new text message, think, then type your response and reply.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Whether or not the time limit should be raised is certainly a discussion to be had (I mean, obviously the limit is there because some people think a short limit is best) but I think it's safe to say that this particular thread can call that out of scope and focus on actually increasing the time limit.

We've established that VCDS can't do it but OpenPilot can.

I think there's some brainstorming/research to be done about any other ways to do it. There's the water bottle trick which applies just enough torque input to avoid the time limit, but that's inelegant. Anyone who says there's no way to do this is wrong, because OpenPilot does it by intercepting the CAN messages (between the ADAS module and the gateway). Obviously OpenPilot uses the Comma's camera instead of the OEM camera, but there's got to be some way to use all OEM hardware except maybe a simple little device that can extend the timer by, say, continuously spoofing steering wheel torque input or maybe re-flashing the ADAS module similar to an ECU flash.