GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone folding molecules?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure lots of people here have already heard about Folding@home. I'm curious if anyone else is doing it?
https://foldingathome.org/

I have three decent PCs with GPU's folding 24-7.

I know they have had a huge inrush of participants since Corvid-19, and now they have more processing power than they can really use. Their research probably won't result in any immediate solutions, but I'm doing it anyway. I'll probably stay with them for other projects too, once the current crises is resolved.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Had heard about it but was worried about it negatively effecting my resources. Have you kept stats of bandwidth usage? Any fear of a security breach and someone gaining acccess to your network?

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Had heard about it but was worried about it negatively effecting my resources. Have you kept stats of bandwidth usage? Any fear of a security breach and someone gaining acccess to your network?

I run mine 24/7 full blast, and haven't had any performance issues with typical productivity/internet applications. You can set the software to only run when the PC is idle, or pause it altogether if you're doing anything that needs more resources.

I don't check my bandwidth, but I believe the program only downloads a "project", grinds on it for a few hours, then uploads the results. It's not sending/receiving massive amounts of data the whole time.

I've run it for 3-months so far and haven't had any security issues. I haven't heard of any either.

flight1us

Ready to race!
I remember when when folding@home was being used with the PS3, glad to see they kept the project alive.