GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone own a 2010 Tiguan? Need advice

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Found one and looking to pick it up for daughter…only 67k on the odometer.

Any personal experience?

TIA

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have a 2012 with 4mo. I had the timing chain done once I noticed my timing chain stretch was getting bad, confirmed on VCDS.

67k is nice to find in a 12 year old car. But find out status of the usual major maintenance items if you can. Carbon cleaning, timing chain, intake manifold, and RMS.

Otherwise a solid car model. I know there's a few other tiguan people on here but they are less active lately.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I have a 2012 with 4mo. I had the timing chain done once I noticed my timing chain stretch was getting bad, confirmed on VCDS.

67k is nice to find in a 12 year old car. But find out status of the usual major maintenance items if you can. Carbon cleaning, timing chain, intake manifold, and RMS.

Otherwise a solid car model. I know there's a few other tiguan people on here but they are less active lately.
Awesome!
My shop pulled all records they could see and they had timing chain add tensioner replaced 10k ago as well. Lots of service history, even oil change

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Solid cars for sure....just need to do the typical TSI (preventative) maintenance, and then everything else is pretty similar to the MK5/MK6 setups (like the suspension).
The 2010 is a early model though and being a S trim won't have much....similar to a MK5 interior.
The 2012's & up had the front & rear and interior updates (think MK6 like interior).

What's the asking price, out of curiosity?
(is it cheap?)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Solid cars for sure....just need to do the typical TSI (preventative) maintenance, and then everything else is pretty similar to the MK5/MK6 setups (like the suspension).
The 2010 is a early model though and being a S trim won't have much....similar to a MK5 interior.
The 2012's & up had the front & rear and interior updates (think MK6 like interior).

(is it cheap?)
Thanks! They are asking $8.7k. Found a 2012 Tiguan up in MD for 10k and has had timing, turbo, waterpump replaced already.....so I do have other options.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

(is it cheap?)
I wasn't sure if you'd pop into the thread or not

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks! They are asking $8.7k. Found a 2012 Tiguan up in MD for 10k and has had timing, turbo, waterpump replaced already.....so I do have other options.
It's just a bad time to buy though. For a one owner, the '10 doesn't sound bad....but it's also 12 years old now & still a VW. It'll seem pretty dated with the MK5 like interior too, and older front end -- it didn't age well.
How much would you offer?

Mileage on the '12 Tig, and price?
FWD or 4motion? Trim level?

It wasn't until the later years that the shifting finally got better with the auto btw. MANY complained about it throughout it's life.

FWIW, when I had my Tiguans before....for whatever reason, they were super cheap to insure. I mean the lowest of any car I've ever had. When me and the wife both had one each at one time....it was like just under $700 (for both/total) for 6 months with full coverage, for brand new ones (in 2013).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
It's just a bad time to buy though. For a one owner, the '10 doesn't sound bad....but it's also 12 years old now & still a VW. It'll seem pretty dated with the MK5 like interior too, and older front end -- it didn't age well.
How much would you offer?

Mileage on the '12 Tig, and price?
FWD or 4motion? Trim level?

It wasn't until the later years that the shifting finally got better with the auto btw. MANY complained about it throughout it's life.

FWIW, when I had my Tiguans before....for whatever reason, they were super cheap to insure. I mean the lowest of any car I've ever had. When me and the wife both had one each at one time....it was like just under $700 (for both/total) for 6 months with full coverage, for brand new ones (in 2013).

So I'll be honest...I'll probably offer what she's asking....8.7k...it's for my 16 year old daughter and I've been looking forever. If I went the subaru outback way, the car would be a 2010 with 172k on the clock for $11k. My shop pulled the maintenance records and it's been solely serviced at the dealership with everything done to it.

12 year old VW is bad I know, but she's 16 and basic is all she needs, as long as it has a back up camera.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
So…..carfax report shows two minor accidents prior…. Not a big deal.

timing chain, tensioner, guide replaced
Tires, plugs, intake manifold all replaced. Fuel pump module, stabilizer bar replaced. Oil/filter changes and all 10/20/30/40/50 services conducted.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So…..carfax report shows two minor accidents prior…. Not a big deal.

timing chain, tensioner, guide replaced
Tires, plugs, intake manifold all replaced. Fuel pump module, stabilizer bar replaced. Oil/filter changes and all 10/20/30/40/50 services conducted.
Sounds like a winner