GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone read any good books lately?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I don’t read much. I like to, but it literally puts me to sleep so I can only get through a page or two at time anymore.

if you like fantasy, I always suggest Dark Heart by Margaret Weis and David Baldwin. It’s a fantasy story set in contemporary times wrapped in a cop drama. It was supposed to be more than one book and the epilogue really set up the next book and it never materialized.

I went on a stint of reading books that were made into films. It helped me to choose something to read

John Dies At The End was such a blast to read. I didn’t know what to expect of it. I haven’t seen the movie and I’m on the fence about it since I enjoyed the book so much.

Fight Club is well worth a read. Pretty close to the film, in some ways, I like the move better.

The Princess Bride, if you liked the movie, the book offers a crazy amount of insight into the story. I actually made it through this one pretty quick.

My wife is a huge reader. Depending on how adventurous you feel she loves this book House Of Leaves. Two caveats. 1) it doesn’t read like a traditional book and 2) because of 1 you need to get a physical copy. I’m not sure there is an e-reader option, but from the way she describes it, it wouldn’t work in that format.

Still nostalgic over the dungeons and dragons books. I believe Margaret Weis wrote a lot of those.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Still nostalgic over the dungeons and dragons books. I believe Margaret Weis wrote a lot of those.
That’s correct. Which is the only reason I read it. David Baldwin writes a lot of crime so he brought in all of that and kind of tempered the fantasy side so it wasn’t overly heavy on that angle. It was a good blend.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Need a good fiction military/CIA suspense book recommendation

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Need a good fiction military/CIA suspense book recommendation

Haven't read it yet, but had a customer come in. Was a green beret and his buddy and fellow green beret wrote about their experiences in Iraq.

Brooklyn to Baghdad

Edit : realized you wanted fiction. Oh well. I'll leave it here anyway

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
One of my all time favs is The short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson.

If you like that, would def recommend Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Even more accessible and essentially explains everything lol.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Haven't read it yet, but had a customer come in. Was a green beret and his buddy and fellow green beret wrote about their experiences in Iraq.

Brooklyn to Baghdad

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Oh man. Forgot to mention my fave book

the child thief by Brom

basically, metal version of Peter pan. Good book. Real good book

Phur

Autocross Champion
It’s been a few years ago now, but “Let the Right One In” by John Ajvide Lindqvist was really good. It is what inspired the movie by the same name. A Swedish movie that is, in my opinion, the best vampire movie ever.

swcrow

Autocross Champion

Brooklyn to Baghdad

Just bought it......I'll let you know how it is

Turbongr

Ready to race!
https://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Masters-Son-Pulitzer-Fiction/dp/0812982622

one of the better books I've read in a while (Mrs Mud didn't like it much). If you liked (or disliked) Life of Pi it has the same feel

Good one. I thought it got a little weak towards the end but overall really like it. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is another Pulitzer winner I really enjoyed.

The Long Ships by Fans G Bengtsson is a great read. I'm rereading it right now and loving it all over again.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford blew my mind. Really.

You Can't Win by Jack Black. Autobiography of a hobo/thief etc from the early 1900's. Another great read.

Dune. Love it every time I read it but can never even remember what happened afterwards. Would recommend. I guess.

Game of Thrones.