GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone read any good books lately?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Just started Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, author of The Martian.
I read his other book, Artemis and I didn't think it was that great.
But so far this new one seems better.

Also read this year that is worth mentioning:
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
The Effort by Claire Holroyde
The Future Is Yours by Dan Frey
Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline

I'm obviously a bit of a sci-fi fan.
I just finished the Martian. Better than the movie. I found it a quick read and enjoyed it but nothing deep
I don’t read much. I like to, but it literally puts me to sleep so I can only get through a page or two at time anymore.

if you like fantasy, I always suggest Dark Heart by Margaret Weis and David Baldwin. It’s a fantasy story set in contemporary times wrapped in a cop drama. It was supposed to be more than one book and the epilogue really set up the next book and it never materialized.

I went on a stint of reading books that were made into films. It helped me to choose something to read

John Dies At The End was such a blast to read. I didn’t know what to expect of it. I haven’t seen the movie and I’m on the fence about it since I enjoyed the book so much.

Fight Club is well worth a read. Pretty close to the film, in some ways, I like the move better.

The Princess Bride, if you liked the movie, the book offers a crazy amount of insight into the story. I actually made it through this one pretty quick.

My wife is a huge reader. Depending on how adventurous you feel she loves this book House Of Leaves. Two caveats. 1) it doesn’t read like a traditional book and 2) because of 1 you need to get a physical copy. I’m not sure there is an e-reader option, but from the way she describes it, it wouldn’t work in that format.
Books > Movies.

exceptions: One flew over the cuckoos nest, Up in the Air, Catch-22.

special mention again of Princess Bride both were good

also 25th Hr...I read book 1st and Spike Lee's visualization was just as I saw things when I read book

Good one. I thought it got a little weak towards the end but overall really like it. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is another Pulitzer winner I really enjoyed.

The Long Ships by Fans G Bengtsson is a great read. I'm rereading it right now and loving it all over again.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford blew my mind. Really.

You Can't Win by Jack Black. Autobiography of a hobo/thief etc from the early 1900's. Another great read.

Dune. Love it every time I read it but can never even remember what happened afterwards. Would recommend. I guess.

Game of Thrones.
just picked this up at local library for $5 a bag (I gave $10)

two recommendations:

Walter Mosley mystery books. I only recently discovered him and I'm normally not a big fan of this genre I Love his characters.

Stephen Kings: 1963 something Kennedy. Time travel and love story with some SK scary bits. Not his usual but one of his better books (by a good bit)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, I don't have the time at the moment to read through the entire thread, but I like a lot of Neil Gaiman's stuff with a couple of specifics being Neverwhere and The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

As for Rothfuss and Kingkiller, just know you're going to be depressed once you finish the first two and learn there's a third with no date in sight (a lot of us have been waiting years and years for the culmination).

Kingkiller Chronicle book 3 release date, updates, news for 'Doors of Stone' (inverse.com)

I just finished up a marathon of reading getting through the Dark Tower series by King. Some were good, others not so much.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, Dark Tower was overall pretty good, but really had some dull areas and seemingly useless characters. Like reading Pillars of the Earth, glad it's behind me, but not going near it again.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I just finished the Martian. Better than the movie. I found it a quick read and enjoyed it but nothing deep

Books > Movies.

special mention again of Princess Bride both were good

also 25th Hr...I read book 1st and Spike Lee's visualization was just as I saw things when I read book

just picked this up at local library for $5 a bag (I gave $10)

two recommendations:

Walter Mosley mystery books. I only recently discovered him and I'm normally not a big fan of this genre I Love his characters.

Stephen Kings: 1963 something Kennedy. Time travel and love story with some SK scary bits. Not his usual but one of his better books (by a good bit)
My takeaway from the 25th hour…

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Books > Movies.

Somewhat. Anything by Stephen King, I cant read, in fact, it makes me want to eat my own head. I can watch the movies, but nope, cant read him, I have tried. I find him boring, drawn out and basically full of himself. I actually like Clive Barker's writing more. The Hellbound Heart was a great read. I know many people will say the book is always better, but I think there are definite exceptions.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Somewhat. Anything by Stephen King, I cant read, in fact, it makes me want to eat my own head. I can watch the movies, but nope, cant read him, I have tried. I find him boring, drawn out and basically full of himself. I actually like Clive Barker's writing more. The Hellbound Heart was a great read. I know many people will say the book is always better, but I think there are definite exceptions.
Early Clive Barker was great stuff.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Early Clive Barker was great stuff.
Not that I feel it had any real bearing on his writing, but it seemed like after he came out, his stuff became almost gay erotica. Like it was pent up and he needed an outlet. It has tempered over the years, but it was one note for a while. Side note, got to meet the man, what an awesome person. I waited over 4 hours and it was well worth it.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Didn’t want to start a separate thread just for automotive books. Currently reading ‘Ran When Parked’. I don’t recall how I stumbled across this book but so far so good.

I enjoy reading mostly non-fiction. Anything maritime related, military, history and outdoors are my go to topics.
image.jpg

3 book recommendations off the top of my head:
-Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
-In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
-The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership is my most recent.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've been re-reading the Dune series. Just about to finish Children of Dune and I'm gonna dive straight into God Emperor of Dune.