GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Headlights activating when ignition off

W853rdc

Hi all.
I have a 2021 Golf 8 GTD - June 21 model.
When the headlights are in Auto mode and the car is switched off, the headlights and rears switch on regularly for about 15 seconds and switch off again... this cycle repeats and looks like its only been happening after the time when the lights would normally switch on around early evening.
When I switch off the Auto setting the issue does not happen.
I only noticed the problem after someone in the street noticed the lights switching on and off.
When driving the Auto lighting behaviour works as expected.
Before I take it in to get looked I thought I'd see if anyone else was having any similar issues.

Thanks.
Raj

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
It's part of the welcome home light settings you can switch it off in the vehicle settings for comfort lighting I think it's called on the central infotainment screen

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@koolmacher - The coming home function operates just once in all the VW’s I’ve had with this functionality. @W853rdc mentions in their post that the computer by home lighting cycle repeats itself after the initial 15 second illumination phase, and that doesn’t sound right to me - I can’t see why they’d need to do this multiple times.

@W853rdc - I’ve not read of anyone on golfgtiforum or VWROC forum mention their mk8 Golf lights do what yours do when the coming home function is activated. As @koolmacher has suggested, check the lighting settings for your car as there may be the option to switch off the repeat cycles of coming home lighting you’re experiencing and changing it to just a single cycle.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
It all sounds a bit wrong despite the ideas already made. I would talk to the Dealer if I were you as it might just be another software glitch. Not that they will be able do anything unless there is an update lurking somewhere!

Golf8dk

@W853rdc It could be a part of the welcome signature that turns on the lights when the vehicle senses the keys proximity. I usually have my key in my pocket and when I went to a part of my house which is close to my garage (5-7 meters away through a brick wall) it would automatically turn on the lights. Mine is a my2021.

W853rdc

Thanks for your replies everyone - @Golf8dk - I suspect that it's a glitch with the welcome signature feature which i've seen activating the lights when i approach the vehicle - i'll have a try to deactivate this feature and also test whether the issue happens if the keys are placed well out of range.
The difficultly is with having to do this in the evening as that's the only time i've noticed this problem. During the late morning/day time it doesn't misbehave.
Just to clarify also that i'm aware of the welcome home lights feature, but that activates when you park and switch off your car to help with getting to your front door... the issue i'm having happens even when the ignition has been switched off for some time...

Raj