GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

B9 A5 Sportback - Which Engine

9uns

Autocross Champion
Can you point me to where I could learn more about this? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife but concerned about reliability and what not.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
My wife has a B9 A4. I was under the impression it was essentially the same engine just tuned differently and that reliability would be similar. IMO the electronics are a bigger area of concern than the drivetrain.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, we have a Q5 that's honestly been bulletproof, but the better half really wants an eTron, so it will likely go soon.

I can't compare apples to apples as our Q5 is clearly a 7s DSG and my car is a manual, but they really do feel like different engines. The Audi has a rock steady idle, seems happier to rev to (it's lower) redline and just generally seems smoother. I've also noticed that most tuners seem to show about a 20hp differential between the transverse and longitudinal motors, but I can't speak to what mechanical differences there are.

9uns

Autocross Champion
My wife has a B9 A4. I was under the impression it was essentially the same engine just tuned differently and that reliability would be similar. IMO the electronics are a bigger area of concern than the drivetrain.

that's going to be an area of concern in the f36 430i gran coupe that we're also considering and most if not all modern day german cars imo. but i do agree, it is an area of concern and i'd prefer if my wife wanted a japanese or korean sedan but she wants a nicer car this time around.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Yeah, we have a Q5 that's honestly been bulletproof, but the better half really wants an eTron, so it will likely go soon.

I can't compare apples to apples as our Q5 is clearly a 7s DSG and my car is a manual, but they really do feel like different engines. The Audi has a rock steady idle, seems happier to rev to (it's lower) redline and just generally seems smoother. I've also noticed that most tuners seem to show about a 20hp differential between the transverse and longitudinal motors, but I can't speak to what mechanical differences there are.

that's still reassuring. maybe we'll look throw a q5 in the mix. which MY q5 does your wife have?

bentin

Autocross Champion
that's still reassuring. maybe we'll look throw a q5 in the mix. which MY q5 does your wife have?
It's an 18. We debated a stripped SQ5 and a loaded Q5, she chose the opposite of what I'd have done, but it's actually been a great unit and gets about 3-4 mpg better mileage than my car. Ultimately, it's bigger and heavier than what either of us really wanted, but the new Q3 wasn't out and even then, the new one is under powered, which is sort of funny because it has the exact same motor as my car. And, as stated, she wants the eTron, which is even bigger and heavier, so we don't really make any sense. My boss has an S5 coupe and she's had no issues with that car, I'd think the SB wouldn't introduce any real concerns.

We had an F30 328i, the LCI version. Such a shitty car, I hated that thing and haven't missed it for a second. We had five BMW's and it's the one that made me just give up on that brand. Look at anything else. The F series, across the board is worth avoiding.]

Oh, and if you do get a recent Audi, you absolutely will get your value out of an OBD Eleven, they have so many cool features that are disabled in stock form.

Autocross Champion
that's going to be an area of concern in the f36 430i gran coupe that we're also considering and most if not all modern day german cars imo. but i do agree, it is an area of concern and i'd prefer if my wife wanted a japanese or korean sedan but she wants a nicer car this time around.

I too would have preferred a Japanese car, but their smart phone integration was terrible--which for the wifey, was a huge deal. We bought a 15 month old CPO, so it came with the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

bentin

Autocross Champion
From that perspective, worth noting that BMW is the only brand with wireless CarPlay. They've toyed around with various subscription programs for it though, so be aware that you might have to pay for it. BMW are also assholes with warranties and "free" maintenance as neither transfer with private sales, so keep that in mind if you're shopping non CPO cars.

9uns

Autocross Champion
interesting to hear that your wife's q5 gets better mileage than your mk7.5 @bentin thanks for the info about your boss s5 ownership thus far.

i owned an e60 530i which was rock solid all the way through the day i sold it at 110k miles for $11k. got into a w211 e350 after which was complete dog shit compared to the e60 which was 5 years older. what didn't you like about the f30?

@Charlotte.:R we were also considering a b9 a4 but i think we prefer to have something with a liftgate for easier access.

bentin

Autocross Champion
interesting to hear that your wife's q5 gets better mileage than your mk7.5 @bentin thanks for the info about your boss s5 ownership thus far.

i owned an e60 530i which was rock solid all the way through the day i sold it at 110k miles for $11k. got into a w211 e350 after which was complete dog shit compared to the e60 which was 5 years older. what didn't you like about the f30?

@Charlotte.:R we were also considering a b9 a4 but i think we prefer to have something with a liftgate for easier access.
Yeah, the E series car were much better. It's funny, we bought a 135i because we didn't like the E9x 3er. We replaced it with an E84 X1 35i because you couldn't get the N55 in the E91 wagon. Then that poor thing got totaled and we finally bought a 3er and both immediately hated it.

Have you considered an A4 Alltrack? We test drove them, the wife didn't like it because it was longer than the Q5 and the interior felt a little dated. But it's a cool option, and I rarely see them.

And I worked in Germany for 5 years and just can't see MB as anything but taxis. My dad's had a few dozen over the years, AMG's, SL's and all sorts of things that should be fun, but they all are boring as can be and feel reluctant to be pushed.

Oh, not sure if you're opposed to new, but the current Q5 Hybrid is an interesting thing, quicker than the SQ5, but cheaper and with the 0% financing, there are some decent deals on them. I'd kind of prefer it to the eTron, but it does seem silly to replace the current car with essentially the same thing. I wish the Model 3 and Model Y weren't quite as Tesla looking.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Yeah, the E series car were much better. It's funny, we bought a 135i because we didn't like the E9x 3er. We replaced it with an E84 X1 35i because you couldn't get the N55 in the E91 wagon. Then that poor thing got totaled and we finally bought a 3er and both immediately hated it.

Have you considered an A4 Alltrack? We test drove them, the wife didn't like it because it was longer than the Q5 and the interior felt a little dated. But it's a cool option, and I rarely see them.

And I worked in Germany for 5 years and just can't see MB as anything but taxis. My dad's had a few dozen over the years, AMG's, SL's and all sorts of things that should be fun, but they all are boring as can be and feel reluctant to be pushed.

Oh, not sure if you're opposed to new, but the current Q5 Hybrid is an interesting thing, quicker than the SQ5, but cheaper and with the 0% financing, there are some decent deals on them. I'd kind of prefer it to the eTron, but it does seem silly to replace the current car with essentially the same thing. I wish the Model 3 and Model Y weren't quite as Tesla looking.

while i'd love to sell my wife on a c5 s6 avant or a b9 allroad, my wife isn't a fan of the long wagon design cars :( we're going to be buying used so we don't take the depreciation hit.

i quite like how the model 3 looks but the model y just looks like a bloated model 3 and apparently tesla's qc department is run by a bunch of blind drunks. maybe we'll revisit tesla at a later time when we have solar panels.

Autocross Champion

yeah, I’d have preferred a liftgate, but a when a white on brown premium plus popped up locally, we jumped on it.

BF3CFE01-1BC4-45E3-95EE-E5D201C1CB9D.jpeg