GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base vs. Fender vs. Dynaudio

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I recently started considering trading my 2011 Autobahn for a mk7, and that poses the frustrating decision of going down to the base audio system in the S or spending $3,000 more for the SE to get the Fender system and a bunch of other features I'm not crazy about.

The problem is I'm really picky about audio. The Dynaudio system is one of things I like the most about my car. I know aftermarket is an option, but my history with aftermarket systems has been hit or miss. If you have an aftermarket system you like, feel free to post about it.

Now, I don't know what qualifies an audiophile. I have a music degree and I appreciate good audio, but by no means do I consider myself an expert.

For the test, I picked a few songs from my SD card: Coldplay's Hurts Like Heaven, Metallica's Fade to Black, Muse's Madness and Forbidden Friendship from the How To Train Your Dragon soundtrack. I listened to them in my car, then went to my local VW dealer and listened to them on a mk7 GTI S, then in an Autobahn.

I'll start with the base system:
Hurts Like Heaven is a good test of the system's range and balance and it does surprisingly well. At my standard pop/rock EQ settings (+2/0/+2), the balance is just about right. The bass has plenty of punch. There's not even any noticeable distortion until I turned it up louder than Coldplay should ever be.
Fade To Black started showing the weaknesses of this system. The soft guitar intro wasn't offensive but lacked the clarity of the premium systems. The power chords were a letdown compared the Dynaudio. Midrange power is really where the base system is lacking.
In Madness, it did a decent job with the power and clarity with the bass line, but it just didn't have the low range.
Forbidden Friendship starts as a percussion ensemble with mostly marimbas and timpani then slowly adds the whole string section. The base system did okay but scores well below the premium systems due to overall lack of clarity.

Dynaudio: Hurt's like Heaven sounds good with good low and mid clarity at moderate volumes but isn't very pleasant when turned up. I had to turn the treble down to -4 to tolerate it at a loud volume and that's my biggest complaint about the Dynaudio system. You only notice it in certain types of music but the highs can be quite "synthetic" or "tinny" to the point of hurting my ears after a while. The bass and mids I have at +3 and +1 respectively.
Fade to Black on the other hand is right in this system's sweet spot. The soft guitar intro is crystal clear, as are the bass and vocals. When the power chords come in, they're clear with lots of punch and no distortion as loud as I could stand to turn it up. Kirk's epic solo is clear without being offensive.
The orchestral percussion in Forbidden Friendship sounds very clear and natural, but the system struggles a little with the string bass's low range. The range is there, but the super low frequencies are muddy coming out of the 6.5's.

Fender:
I can keep this review short. I really couldn't find a weakness with it in any of the songs. Range, balance, clarity was all very good. One strange thing was that the highs were much better with the treble turned up to +6 or higher. Unlike Dynaudio, the highs from the Fender system never got unpleasant at loud volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply the difference between metal and cloth tweeters. Both Dynaudio and Fender had lots of bass without turning it up much, but the Fender was a little clearer down in the lower range. If Dynaudio has an edge anywhere over Fender, it's in the midrange. It has a little more punch and I might prefer it's tone quality in the mids over Fender though not by much. The highs are the biggest difference and the reason Fender wins this comparison IMO.

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
I listened to the fender setup in a new Bug and it sounded fantastic, that system was the best stock stereo I ever heard.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Fender or bust.

I don't know... the Fender uses a Bass -dedicated subwoofer and it does a very good job of allowing the other Panasonic speakers to shine at most all volumes.

The problem with Dynaudio is simple: it needs very good/ high bit-rate files to sound its best (320kbps). When you play a properly mastered CD, the Dynaudio will be infinitely clearer, more detailed, and marginally less congested in the mids and highs than the fender/ panasonic. It sounds glorious with a remastered 60's Jazz CD.

Just as you have to pump up the highs to +6 in the fender, you need to lower the trebs in the dynaudio to very bizarre depths in the negative realm. The leather seats really don't absorb sound like cloth seats.... soooooo, I place my mids to -4 and pump the bass to +6 ...and importantly, I push the fade forward to +2 or +3... I like a scooped and direct sound.

Either way, you need to conduct this test at 55 to 60 mph as well. At that speed, the clarity, depth, and superior soundstage of the Dynaudio will cut through.... IMHO. You do most of your driving and listening at speed, not in the car dealer parking lot.

When the Dynaudio was a standalone option in 2010, the $700 option was a steal and a no-brainer. No, its not an ideal system for playing screw or synth-bass- hip hop whatever... but if you're listening to that shit, any old sony stereo/ amp with a 18" box in the back will do. (or heck, a panasonic stereo rebranded "Fender")

Last edited:

ViR

The Russian
I have Dynaudio, and I really dont like it.. Base on MK5 sounded better to me.. :(

I dont use high quality mp3s half of the time, so it might be a problem because base audio just smoothes everything?

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I don't know... the Fender uses a Bass -dedicated subwoofer and it does a very good job of allowing the other Panasonic speakers to shine at most all volumes.

The problem with Dynaudio is simple: it needs very good/ high bit-rate files to sound its best (320kbps). When you play a properly mastered CD, the Dynaudio will be infinitely clearer, more detailed, and marginally less congested in the mids and highs than the fender/ panasonic. It sounds glorious with a remastered 60's Jazz CD.

Just as you have to pump up the highs to +6 in the fender, you need to lower the trebs in the dynaudio to very bizarre depths in the negative realm. The leather seats really don't absorb sound like cloth seats.... soooooo, I place my mids to -4 and pump the bass to +6 ...and importantly, I push the fade forward to +2 or +3... I like a scooped and direct sound.

Either way, you need to conduct this test at 55 to 60 mph as well. At that speed, the clarity, depth, and superior soundstage of the Dynaudio will cut through.... IMHO. You do most of your driving and listening at speed, not in the car dealer parking lot.

When the Dynaudio was a standalone option in 2010, the $700 option was a steal and a no-brainer. No, its not an ideal system for playing screw or synth-bass- hip hop whatever... but if you're listening to that shit, any old sony stereo/ amp with a 18" box in the back will do. (or heck, a panasonic stereo rebranded "Fender")

You're probably right about Dynaudio and bit-rates. The Coldplay track is probably 192 kbps but the Metallica track is 320 kbps because I burned it from my special edition gold-plated CD.

Regarding parked or driving, I did the test in my car while parked to rule out that difference. I don't see how it could be any better while driving. Wouldn't that just add noise? Besides, I've already test driven a 2015. I don't think I would ask for 2 20 minute test drives just to evaluate stereos.

Some jazz would've been another good test but I didn't have any decent tracks on that card. I intentionally didn't choose the tracks that sound the best in my car, but I didn't intentionally omit them either. I chose them based on their variety of content.

I keep my bass at +3 which is almost too much for Red Hot Chili Pepper's I'm With You album and a couple other recent albums I have.

There are subtle qualities about the Dynaudio system that bests Fender that I failed to describe. I agree that the Dynaudio system is excellent but even at it's best, I find it a little artificial sounding. I can't say the Fender was much better in that regard. I have another vehicle with Focal components that I find more "natural" sounding than either system. The main factor for me is the highs in the Dynaudio keep me from enjoying a long trip with full volume music without discomfort. I didn't get any of that with the Fender.

You're probably right about Dynaudio and bit-rates. The Coldplay track is probably 192 kbps but the Metallica track is 320 kbps because I burned it from my special edition gold-plated CD.

Regarding parked or driving, I did the test in my car while parked to rule out that difference. I don't see how it could be any better while driving. Wouldn't that just add noise? Besides, I've already test driven a 2015. I don't think I would ask for 2 20 minute test drives just to evaluate stereos.

Some jazz would've been another good test but I didn't have any decent tracks on that card. I intentionally didn't choose the tracks that sound the best in my car, but I didn't intentionally omit them either. I chose them based on their variety of content.

I keep my bass at +3 which is almost too much for Red Hot Chili Pepper's I'm With You album and a couple other recent albums I have.

There are subtle qualities about the Dynaudio system that bests Fender that I failed to describe. I agree that the Dynaudio system is excellent but even at it's best, I find it a little artificial sounding. I can't say the Fender was much better in that regard. I have another vehicle with Focal components that I find more "natural" sounding than either system. The main factor for me is the highs in the Dynaudio keep me from enjoying a long trip with full volume music without discomfort. I didn't get any of that with the Fender.

Interesting... I do feel that the #1 issue has to be the quality of the audio source and our ouwn audible limitations. We all have different ears and hearing. I just got out of a coworkers old CRX with 15" JL box and a set of Bostons in the front door. He listens to the system with incredibly high treble parameters... I can't stand it... but to him, it's the dog's bollocks..

at 65 mph, and in most compact cars, the many mid to lower frequencies get washed out by road noise and vibration.

On another note, the mk7's fen/panasonic front tweeters are positively buried in the A pillar, not the doors a la the MK6. Might have something to do with the dynaudio's brighter treble profile.

Last edited:

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I considered at one point changing the speakers in my car but from my research, the RNS-315 only puts out 20 watts per channel and I found this info about the Dynaudio setup...http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/dynaudio-sound-system

"Ten high performance speakers, plus ten digital amplifiers* with Digital Sound Processor (DSP) technology...."

Does that mean each speaker has a built-in amplifier? Is that common? That sounds to me like changing speakers would have to include a good 4 channel amp at least. That was the end of that idea.

I considered at one point changing the speakers in my car but from my research, the RNS-315 only puts out 20 watts per channel and I found this info about the Dynaudio setup...http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/dynaudio-sound-system

"Ten high performance speakers, plus ten digital amplifiers* with Digital Sound Processor (DSP) technology...."

Does that mean each speaker has a built-in amplifier? Is that common? That sounds to me like changing speakers would have to include a good 4 channel amp at least. That was the end of that idea.

MK6 dynaudio has 8 speakers, 2 of which are dedicated A pillar tweeters.
I recall reading that each speaker is powered by 30 watts of power culled from a Blaupunkt 240w amp below your leather seat.

240/ 8 channels.

dunno what that VW brochure was rattling on about, but I know the Euro Passat system has 10 speakers.

Arkaband

Ready to race!
So If I wanted, I could put in aftermarket speakers without losing wattage? What does it mean about "ten (8 for golfs) digital amplifiers"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So If I wanted, I could put in aftermarket speakers without losing wattage? What does it mean about "ten (8 for golfs) digital amplifiers"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they're obviously wrong. Can't imagine a car with 10 amplifiers.... I think they mean 10 channels.

You won't lose wattage...make sure the replacement speakers are the same OHM

icee

Ready to race!
I have a 2011 Autobahn with Dynaudio while my dad has a 2013 Drivers Edition GTI with the base audio. Both cars have leather. The base audio isn't too bad as long as you haven't been listening to a more powerful audio system.

The moment you listen to the Dynaudio system, the base speakers sound like you have a slight head cold. Sightly muffled. Tweaking the audio settings doesn't quite get rid of it either. Strangely, FM/AM radio sounds way better on the base system as it just fills the car better. On the Dynaudio, I've got the radio cranked past 14 to get it to fill the cabin.

I have to agree with the high bitrate files for the Dynaudio speakers. You can hear every flaw with the low bitrate files. XM radio on Dynaudio sounds like utter garbage (think 96Kbps MP3s; warbly).

I added a UberStealth Audio Sub enclosure to my Dynaudio system and while it sounds awesome while I'm at a standstill, highway driving sorta drowns out the sub. I'd love to see if a AudioControl LC2 would make a difference in the feel of the sub.

One thing I did notice between both GTI systems and say Ford audio systems is that in the GTI, I don't really FEEL the bass frequencies in the door or the seat or in my chest. Even at a stand still, I can hear my sub, just no theater like clean rumble.

interested in the uberstealth. Where does it sit/.?

Was installation a pain?

I think we're in consensus that bad audio source makes the dynaudio suck. An ideal source (good CD, 320kbps mp3...) makes the system shine.

I have a 2011 Autobahn with Dynaudio while my dad has a 2013 Drivers Edition GTI with the base audio. Both cars have leather. The base audio isn't too bad as long as you haven't been listening to a more powerful audio system.

The moment you listen to the Dynaudio system, the base speakers sound like you have a slight head cold. Sightly muffled. Tweaking the audio settings doesn't quite get rid of it either. Strangely, FM/AM radio sounds way better on the base system as it just fills the car better. On the Dynaudio, I've got the radio cranked past 14 to get it to fill the cabin.

I have to agree with the high bitrate files for the Dynaudio speakers. You can hear every flaw with the low bitrate files. XM radio on Dynaudio sounds like utter garbage (think 96Kbps MP3s; warbly).

I added a UberStealth Audio Sub enclosure to my Dynaudio system and while it sounds awesome while I'm at a standstill, highway driving sorta drowns out the sub. I'd love to see if a AudioControl LC2 would make a difference in the feel of the sub.

One thing I did notice between both GTI systems and say Ford audio systems is that in the GTI, I don't really FEEL the bass frequencies in the door or the seat or in my chest. Even at a stand still, I can hear my sub, just no theater like clean rumble.

true hi fidelity maintains that you hear the bass, not feel it.:)

Next time you're at the symphony, note that even the deepest of bass notes you will hear... but only slightly... very slightly feel.

Now, realistically, none of us listen to classical every day.... but still... LOL

icee

Ready to race!
The Uber Stealth Box is an underfloor box that takes the place of one of the foam surrounds next to the spare tire. It does raise the hatch floor by about an inch but you really don't notice it. The biggest perk is you still have all the trunk space and your full sized spare tire!

You may have seen the setup in many of the threads here but in case you haven't, here's one:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15284

The boxes are built by Nikbrewer here on the forums. Nice guy. Good service and VERY well built options. Check out his site and the box options: http://www.uberstealthaudio.com/

I had my box installed by a local audio guy. I didn't feel like removing (more likely breaking) the trim in my car.

That's a pretty good point about the classical music! I'm going to listen to some Prokofiev. :D

Oh, one last note regarding the Dynaudio system: It sounds just as awesome at low volumes as it does at mid to high volumes. I sometimes take a nap in my car during lunch break and with the seat reclined, the rear tweeter whispers music in my ear as I nap. :p

interested in the uberstealth. Where does it sit/.?

Was installation a pain?

I think we're in consensus that bad audio source makes the dynaudio suck. An ideal source (good CD, 320kbps mp3...) makes the system shine.

true hi fidelity maintains that you hear the bass, not feel it.:)

Next time you're at the symphony, note that even the deepest of bass notes you will hear... but only slightly... very slightly feel.

Now, realistically, none of us listen to classical every day.... but still... LOL