GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Better downpipe options?

roystr

Ready to race!
I'm running an APR downpipe. I had a CTS downpipe on my old car and a buddy runs a USP on his MK7. Performance wise, we have no complaints. However there are 2 things that we are hoping to address:

1. Car sounds like shit at 3000 rpm. I have a Baun midpipe (and stock rear section) and has helped with drone at lower RPMs but the shit sound at 3000 rpm is still there.
2. Car stinks (especially when cold, much less when warm). I'm guessing that maybe the cat is too far back from the turbo.

I know MAP has a catted AND resonated downpipe. Is it any better? IE? Willing to pay for a "better" one if it addresses the 2 things above, but seems like a waste of money if not.

Thanks.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Car sounds like shit at 3k no matter what you put on it. I have the setup you are asking about (catted+resonated+stock resonator+stock muffler). It still sounds bad. Mk7s sound like shit, no one will ever convince me otherwise.
Smell? A closer cat might help but not much. You need a better one like a GESI. Lotta money to spend for a bit less stink.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Stock catbacks sound like shit. Change that first, will make a dramatic difference.

Agree with Diggs though, these engines don't sound good in general.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Yup true story..... amplify a fart and all you get is a loud fart.... a stinky loud fart.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I couldn't detect a difference in smell after swapping from stock to an AWE downpipe.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
HA!

I dont think any 2.0 4 cyl Turbo motor sounds good. Its not just ours
Totally disagree. My mk5 with Billyboat downpipe and res delete sounded mental. Will try to find soundclip

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Had an APR DOWNPIPE, it cracked the weld at flex joint. APR ignored calls, I gave up, bought an I.E. DOWNPIPE. Sounded great with stock Alltrack exhaust. I made the mistake of putting on a Techtonics exhaust,sounds great at idle but horrible drone at 2500 rpm. I mean really bad! The Borla resonator they use is just too small in my opinion. I am going to try the biggest Vibrant I can get in there but not a lot of room in tunnel and with driveshaft to rear diff.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I've ran APR, CTS and IE. The IE drones the least and has the most refined tone. The cat being up high also makes the cat light of quickly making for less of a smell when cold. I run a stock cat back; I do not believe there is an aftermarket solution that can be of better flow without increasing drone.(y)(y)(y) Had to mess with the new forum shhh.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I've ran APR, CTS and IE. The IE drones the least and has the most refined tone. The cat being up high also makes the cat light of quickly making for less of a smell when cold. I run a stock cat back; I do not believe there is an aftermarket solution that can be of better flow without increasing drone.(y)(y)(y) Had to mess with the new forum shhh.

Should be enough to space to add a small resonator to the aft section of the IE downpipe?

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
Same complaints here. Car doesn't stink inside but people standing around it or following me (when it's cold) tell me that it smells.

I'm sure there are turbo inline 4s that sound good but this doesn't seem to be one of them. I built a turbo B series Honda about 15 years ago (B18C1 bored to 1.9 liters) that sounded awesome. Cam switchover wasn't until 4400 rpm though and it sounded like an F1 car after that. I think the EA888 sounds good at higher revs but that 3k RPM note is terrible.