GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big brother is watching!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That’s that end of the era of the motorcar then! In the EU at least!

Mandatory speed limiters are to be introduced in Europe by 2022 and may even include vehicle data recorders!

Will apply in the UK regardless of ‘brexit’, Can’t wait!!

Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Nanny state, mind judging by how quick the standard of driving is going it may be needed. There will be a huge loss of revenue from speed cameras though.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Going to love passing on 2 lane roads.

Car limited to 65 passing car going 60. That's much safer.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The only plus side is that it appears that it may be possible to disable it much like the start stop system, but of course this would need doing each trip with a button, could be coded away maybe though with any luck, the worst part of this however is not actually the limiter but the possibility that there will be a “black box” in the car recording all driving data, talk about invasion of privacy! This combined with cars that are permanently online would lead me to think that everybody could be monitored 24/7, if were not being already that is!!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
It would be interesting to see how quick they can implement everything mentioned in the article.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I'll bet prohibiting automakers from installing fancy touchscreen infotainment systems would do more to reduce deaths than this.

In all candor, I'm much more aware and alert when I speed...scanning as far ahead as possible for cops, checking my rear view mirror for cops, etc.

If I were restricted to exactly the speed limit, I'd probably just zone out on the rear bumper of the car in front of me and spend more time 'f-ing around with the infotainment system.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'll bet prohibiting automakers from installing fancy touchscreen infotainment systems would do more to reduce deaths than this.

In all candor, I'm much more aware and alert when I speed...scanning as far ahead as possible for cops, checking my rear view mirror for cops, etc.

If I were restricted to exactly the speed limit, I'd probably just zone out on the rear bumper of the car in front of me and spend more time 'f-ing around with the infotainment system.

So true. I think better solution is make manual transmissions mandatory. Although people will still find a way to shift and text

Faceman

Autocross Newbie

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I was completely shocked when I saw read the title and the author wasnt The Fed...

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Welcome to the U.S.A.

Does anyone need to exceed 55 mph? It worked so well here I'm sure motorists in the UK and Urrup will love it. Look at the fuel you'll save... :rolleyes:

If you think this is fun wait until all cars are talking to each other via computer and one computer blue screens - ALL cars come to a halt dead in the road. They call it "progress".

Burner1

Ready to race!
That’s that end of the era of the motorcar then! In the EU at least!

Mandatory speed limiters are to be introduced in Europe by 2022 and may even include vehicle data recorders!

Will apply in the UK regardless of ‘brexit’, Can’t wait!!

Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Fucking far left destroy everything fun for pure control.

“My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside”

~Rush (Red Barchetta)

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Just to play devil’s advocate... This is something I never understood. If it’s against the law to go above 80mph (which I believe is the top speed limit in the US) why is it legal to make and buy cars that go well over 100mph? Are they thinking, “we can make the product but trust the customer not to use what is was designed for”? I was trying to think of another scenario to compare this to but couldnt really think of one. Kinda like being able to sell everclear in a banned state and trusting the customer wont drink it.

The govt regulates the hell out of everything else. I cant even go to the drug store to buy psuedoephedrine without the clerk demanding my drivers license and limiting how much I can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk