GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bitcoin currency discussion

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
They somehow lost 99.7% of the Bitcoins they were holding without anyone at Mt.Gox noticing. Yeah, right...

The Vinkledorks were closely affiliated with Mt.Gox. I wonder how many of the lost Bitcoins were theirs.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Say you bought a new car with bitcoins.....

The car was 28,000 and the bitcoins that you used to purchase the car you originally got for 10,000(which then increased in value to 28,000)

Now you owe capital gains tax on the 18,000

TA-DA!

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
IRS recent public notice on guidance on Bitcoin IR-2014-36 with Q&A in Notice 2014-21 designates Bitcoin as property, not currency.

Like KYGTIGuy hints at, all Bitcoin transactions more than $600 USD value are now US Federal tax reportable and may be grandfathered. Users must keep track of the value at the date of the transaction from now on. Payment providers and 1099 contractors/vendors are required then to self-report based on these transactions. This effectively cuts down on the aspect of anonymity in the US using Bitcoin.

Virtual currency money exchangers based in the US are already required to file as an MSB through FinCEN which then requires them to have an AML program. FYI; the backbone of AML programs is the know your customer requirement (through CIP processes) from the Patriot Act and one of the major advantages from using virtual currency is anonymity. There is a lot to be ironed out for it to be considered a currency in the US.

Believe it or not, examining authorities are starting to actually play catch-up. For believers, you can at least be thankful that US banking authorities are open to the idea of its use and regulation, much unlike India who has totally outlawed it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
How would they know what the dollar amount was you purchased them at? I get the US based companies have to report the transactions but a lot of these exchanges are global....

Last edited:

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
How would they know what the dollar amount was you purchased them at? I get the US based companies have to report the transactions but a lot of these exchanges are global....

Here's the Q&A
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

See questions 12, 13, and 15. The tax reporting requirements are for US citizens only for transactions > $600 and US based third party payment/settlement providers by completing 1099s, which is what a VC money exchanger will now need to do depending on volume and dollar base.

Other countries are following suit. Heck, this IRS guidance comes right after Canada's
Revenue Agency issued its own guidance in November 2013 on the tax rules and treatment of Bitcoin.

From Wikipedia, "Canada, the federal government announced that it was going to regulate Bitcoin under its anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing legislation, the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. The Quebec government agency, the Autorité des marches financiers, also announced that it would prosecute violations of the Securities Act (Loi sur les valeurs mobilières), the Derivatives Act (Loi sur les instruments dérivés) and the Money Services Businesses Act (Loi sur les enterprises de services monétaires) for Bitcoin transactions, particularly those involving Bitcoin ATMs" (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_Bitcoins_by_country).

Bitcoin has real time exchange values that are tracked by all money exchangers, so a transaction right now for 0.04 BTC has a USD equivalent of $22.8457. Here's an example of a BTC exchange rate chart: https://bitcoinity.org/markets

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Did you manage to sell your BTC for around 20k? Just curious :) I believe that this bull run we will have 1 BTC for around 100k if not more. Have some friends who are seriously into crypto and they say that this market is here for long because its capitalisation is more than 1 trillion dollars thus it can't be ignored any more. Also there are a lot of interesting sectors like DeFi or NFT tokens. I won't be surprised if cryptomarket someday will be more profitable and more stable than modern stock market.

unfortunately I DID cash out back then and did not cash back in in the interim... I thought it wouldn’t go back up again lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
IMG_20210427_172921_577.jpg

Jack Adebayor

unfortunately I DID cash out back then and did not cash back in in the interim... I thought it wouldn’t go back up again lol. I should have checked via doji candles. That is a reliable tool.
This week my portfolio went about 40%+ down. I wish I have managed to cash out in time but ...

Last edited:

wandaruth

Suppose you knew that bitcoin would continue to rise in value. You would be millionaires by now. I remember a case where a guy threw away his computer with bitcoins. They were worth pennies at the time. Now he would be a dollar millionaire. The guy tried every way he could to find his computer, but he never succeeded even though many people think that bitcoin is a bubble, which should burst soon. I believe that bitcoin can grow in value up to a hundred thousand dollars. That's why I've been following cryptocurrency signals and investing in bitcoin for several years now.