GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth Woes - Media hell

Pep2272

Hi folks,
So I have just bought a used golf GTI mk8. Before I picked it up I made sure it had the latest software (1668). I have had it since Saturday and there is much to love but the keyless entry worked a couple of times and never since (sigh). I have not been able to successfully connect via Bluetooth to play any media. My contacts worked for a couple days but no more, and seemingly can't get it back. My mk7.5 golf match connected my phone seamlessly (OnePlus 6) and had my phone contacts, Amazon music etc etc. On this new car I have Dab radio, that's it. It's so frustrating that I am considering rejecting the car and getting something that actually works!
Any ideas anyone?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I know there is an update for the Keyless unit, not sure if that has been updated in your Golf 8(latest version is 716). If you have Vcds or Odb11 you can find out.
The 1668 software is the latest for now. Have you tried removing and reconfiguring your phone from the mobile connection screen in the infotainment system. When you say Dab radio , do you mean no FM?

Pep2272

Hi Massimo, I will book it in ref the keyless entry as it's easy to demonstrate. Yes, I have Dab radio which works great although not sure why they put favourites in a line and not use the whole screen? I have subscribed to Spotify but when I connect up to Android auto on the car it says 'Spotify is not working at the moment' although it is on the app. I noticed last night that Android auto was set to 'launch Android auto when Bluetooth detected' so have turned that of and will try that.
I have a 30 day return policy and spotted a TROC type R which, at least won't have these issues. That being said, I love the car. I have the sunroof and KH sound system which is great at this time of year.
Thanks for your response 👏

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
For Golf 8’s produced before week build 48 they are on the 16xx software with 816B unit while later builds are on the 17xx software with the D version unit.

Pep2272

*update* so I turned off the option in Android auto to start when Bluetooth is connected and now my phone contacts etc work ok but no success with any media other than radio. My next attempt will be to run Spotify on my phone once connected via Bluetooth and see what happens and see what happens

Pep2272

*update 2* it seems that the keyless entry only works if the car is approached from behind, which seems crazy, no? Booked in on Friday. Next bit, anyone know how to reset the trip as I have just refueled (Tesco 99 momentum).

Pep2272

*update 3* decided today to put the media issues to one side, opened the sunroof and just drove it, awesome, great car, great fun and faith restored 😁

Pep2272

*update 4* having played about with keyless entry last night I have discovered the heroes entry only works if you airsick the car from the rear, which seems ludicrous! I seem to have to connect the phone via Bluetooth when I get in the car but it does then pick up my contacts etc and if I open Spotify I can see it on my phone, play it through the car but only see track info on the main display, not the side display. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey 😀

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
*update 4* having played about with keyless entry last night I have discovered the heroes entry only works if you airsick the car from the rear, which seems ludicrous! I seem to have to connect the phone via Bluetooth when I get in the car but it does then pick up my contacts etc and if I open Spotify I can see it on my phone, play it through the car but only see track info on the main display, not the side display. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey 😀
I had similar keyless entry problems when I had it set to unlock automatically when approaching the car. But after disabling that so that I have to touch the handle it has worked flawlessly. It doesn't bother me that the car doesn't unlock when I approach it but it may be different for you.

Pep2272

*Keyless entry fixed* Hoorah! The main dealer performed a software update that has completely fixed this problem. I will try to attach a photo! Software update: TPI206781/2
IMG_20210605_125422.jpg

Pep2272

Media update: I have purchased a USB to C type adaptor from eBay, loaded my music into a USB stick and it works perfectly on the car, with album art and folder structure visible on the car, fantastic! Spotify is now working visa Bluetooth also, although functionality is restricted to play or skip to next track only in Bluetooth mode. I have noticed that when you start the car it takes a short period (minute perhaps) for the Bluetooth to fully connect, then the phone, Spotify etc are all good. How this helps people, have a great day.