GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMW M2 or GT350?

Midknight1

Ready to race!
GT350 all day. More power!!! Lol, I would also have one just because it will be a rare sight I think. Not too many people will be in that market. BMW M cars are everywhere

Sent from the future

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Meant to update this thread with some experience. Granted, I will be talking about the M4 here, and not the M2, but they seem "close enough" from what I've read to be able to compare.

I put some spacers on a locals M4. He insisted I drive it afterwards. And not only drive it, but beat the living hell out of it. How this fell into my lap I have no idea, but the guy was with me the whole time and kept telling me to go. I had it to ~140 a bunch of time.

Anyway, it was underwhelming. Sure, the motor sounded nice and RWD was nice. Besides those two things, and everyone looking at you as you drove, I was not impressed.

It was surprisingly REALLY slow. I felt like it took forever to get where I wanted to go, and this was shifting at redline which is around 7800 IIRC (this was a few weeks ago).

The interior...what in the living hell. I felt like I was driving an econo spec corolla with a heads up display. There is ZERO special about being inside this thing. The steering wheel sucked. Once again, not impressed.

Handling... Once again, not impressed. It was in sport mode and felt really floaty. For the massive tires and electronic dampening and all of the bells and whistles (not to mention it being an M car) I was expecting to be seriously blown out of the water by handling. I was not.

I guess you can see where I'm going. There is absolutely no way in hell I would spend 70-80k on this shit box. I don't even think I would by a brand new one for 50. I would skip this and buy something else. The GT350 looks REALLY promising in comparison.

JT641

Banned
Meant to update this thread with some experience. Granted, I will be talking about the M4 here, and not the M2, but they seem "close enough" from what I've read to be able to compare.

I put some spacers on a locals M4. He insisted I drive it afterwards. And not only drive it, but beat the living hell out of it. How this fell into my lap I have no idea, but the guy was with me the whole time and kept telling me to go. I had it to ~140 a bunch of time.

Anyway, it was underwhelming. Sure, the motor sounded nice and RWD was nice. Besides those two things, and everyone looking at you as you drove, I was not impressed.

It was surprisingly REALLY slow. I felt like it took forever to get where I wanted to go, and this was shifting at redline which is around 7800 IIRC (this was a few weeks ago).

The interior...what in the living hell. I felt like I was driving an econo spec corolla with a heads up display. There is ZERO special about being inside this thing. The steering wheel sucked. Once again, not impressed.

Handling... Once again, not impressed. It was in sport mode and felt really floaty. For the massive tires and electronic dampening and all of the bells and whistles (not to mention it being an M car) I was expecting to be seriously blown out of the water by handling. I was not.

I guess you can see where I'm going. There is absolutely no way in hell I would spend 70-80k on this shit box. I don't even think I would by a brand new one for 50. I would skip this and buy something else. The GT350 looks REALLY promising in comparison.

Yeah I would go with the new C63S AMG before I would go with an M3/M4 but that's me, the Merc has lots more torque & HP than the M car, The only M cars I'd consider are the M5 and M6

Question were you driving one with a manual or the DCT, When I drove an E90 M3 with a manual it felt slower than it did with the DCT trans.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I would go with the new C63S AMG before I would go with an M3/M4 but that's me, the Merc has lots more torque & HP than the M car, The only M cars I'd consider are the M5 and M6

Question were you driving one with a manual or the DCT, When I drove an E90 M3 with a manual it felt slower than it did with the DCT trans.

It was a manual. I guess I will say the clutch was really easy to get used to. And that fact was proven when the guy told me this was his FIRST MANUAL CAR EVER. Take that in for a second. LOL.

I'm pretty sure this just counted M cars out for me. Maybe a used one when they are really cheap or something, but there are so many more cars I love in the 40-50k range to even ever consider a new one of these. Hell, I think you can get a used C63 for less than 30k now. Oh the wonderful depreciation of high end cars!

Side note: I'm actually putting a splitter and side skirts on this after work today, so maybe I'll drive it again and update my experience.

JT641

Banned
It was a manual. I guess I will say the clutch was really easy to get used to. And that fact was proven when the guy told me this was his FIRST MANUAL CAR EVER. Take that in for a second. LOL.

I'm pretty sure this just counted M cars out for me. Maybe a used one when they are really cheap or something, but there are so many more cars I love in the 40-50k range to even ever consider a new one of these. Hell, I think you can get a used C63 for less than 30k now. Oh the wonderful depreciation of high end cars!

Side note: I'm actually putting a splitter and side skirts on this after work today, so maybe I'll drive it again and update my experience.

Yeah the previous Gen C63 and E63 you can get good deals, But I like the latest versions of those with the new TT 4.0 and 5.5L engines Actually considering those and the F10 M5 as my next car. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73356&page=11

BTW have you considered the F10 M5, Resale prices on the 1st 2 years for it aren't that bad at all

Last edited:

Jackoblee

BMW M2

BMW’s pint-sized M2 harkens back to the original small, swift and snappy M car, the E30-series M3. Its 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six pumps out 365 hp and drives the rear wheels through a six-speed manual. An optional seven-speed dual-clutch automatic blasts the M2 to 60 in just 4.0 seconds. The poised chassis delivers heroic handling and although the steering is a bit vague at times, this is easily forgiven; sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and beefy brakes help inspire confidence.