GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bonnet/Hood Gas Spring for MK8

MJ9

Hey guys,

I've came across with a gas spring (or strut or whatever you call it :) ) for MK8 that looks high quality.

https://www.racingline.com/gas-strut-bonnet-hood

Its pricey though, around €95 euros. There are cheaper alternatives on AliExpress but I dont trust cheap chinese products and also hood is really heavy, an error in equipment could cause injuries. What do you think, does this worth the price?

Btw, if I'm not mistaken STABILUS is the original equipment manufacturer for VW but I dont know which one of their products fit for MK8. Eject Force (N) and Length are varied. Any thoughts?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I fitted a new Mk7 gas strut (from eBay) and used one of these 10mm ball studs (mounted to the same bolt that racingline use) on the bonnet catch, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11422920...p2LCNeJSEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
The threaded bar is removable which allows the stud to be fitted to the bolt on the bonnet catch, the Mk7 gas strut is a little shorter than would be ideal (maybe 100mm) but opens the bonnet plenty wide enough, total cost was £17.

Last edited:

YYC-Brads-R

I have one of the Racing line ones, I just picked up the car the other day and haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Should take less than 5 minute to pop in there and seems to be a solid unit.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I have one of the Racing line ones, I just picked up the car the other day and haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Should take less than 5 minute to pop in there and seems to be a solid unit.
If you have the opportunity, could I ask you to measure the length of the RacingLine strut please! I’d be interested to know which VAG group strut they’re using, thanks.

Reactions: MJ9

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered a Racingline bonnet strut. Interestingly this is the first accessory I have bought for my GTE, unlike my BMW R1250GS motorcycle to which I have fitted a plethora of expensive accessories.