GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake pads shifting in caliper

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just did my brakes and installed Stoptech/Centric posi quiet pads. The brakes are performing well however I was getting a clunk noise when braking in reverse, and then again on first application after going forward. After inspection I found that the front pads are able to shift about a 1/4” up and down in the caliper carrier.

I found this thread which talks about a soft textured layer on some pads that prevent this noise...https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-brake-noise.370379/

Thinking about trying to put some hi temp silicone on my pads to mimic the effect. (See pic)

Anybody have this issue before? Any suggestions on how to fix it other than buying new pads that are a better fit?

19476543-1AEE-4374-9A83-CA0CABF440E4.jpeg

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
The pads do have anti rattle clips and are installed properly. They stop the pad from rattling and moving forward and back and are working correctly. Unfortunately they don’t stop the pads from moving up and down.

I also thoroughly cleaned everything and greased the proper spots on install which isn’t helping my case here as it allows to the pad to move more freely. 😣

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Sounds like the pads are too short. Did you. Compare them to the OEM pads you replaced to be sure the dimensions are the same?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
I did not unfortunately. I had done research of other people using these pads with the right part number and assumed they were good to go. They fit, they’re just not a perfect fit. Lesson learned.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I had that issue with the TRW pads, but ironically, fixed the issue with the posi quiets. I didn’t have them on for that long but they were tight and quiet when I had them.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I get a little from my akebono pads when I switch from reverse to forward or the other way round but it's minor and doesn't bother me. Don't race etc but not a fan of the oem pads. Grabby or the system simply has too much assist for them.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
I contacted Centric, confirmed that the part number and sent a video of the pad moving. This is the response I got..

“That is rather excessive. I have a few sets coming to my location from my main warehouse to test fit and see what’s going on. Standby”

I will update when I hear a response.

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Same thing happens everytime I change rear pads, goes away after one track day. Probably packs brake dust in the gaps. Of course. No help if you don't track your car.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just got a response back. They acknowledged that there is a problem, but don’t have a solution currently unfortunately.

“We’ve discovered a bit of a discrepancy…likely due to the thickness of the shim. The OE pad has what I would refer to as excessive slop in the caliper bracket as well, but the Posiquiet sample I checked has about an additional 0.5mm of clearance. We’ll be retooling the plate and shims to solve this. Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution for you right now. We’re probably 3-4 months out on getting this sorted out.”