GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes feeling odd

Sythaera

Hi!

I have a weird feeling with my brakes on my mk8 1.5 eTSI.

When I brake with the car, it feels like it releases the brakes a bit after a second or two so that I have to brake harder. It doesn't feel smooth at all while braking, and my old mk7 does not do this.

Does anyone have something similar with your mk8s or should I go to my dealer have it looked up?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Yes. The braking effect seems to lessen noticeably as you slow to a halt. I think it’s the regenerative braking switching off at around 5mph or so, and you have to press a bit harder on the brake pedal to maintain your rate of deceleration.

TheDutchieGolf8

I too had this ”problem”, which was already pretty annoying, and made me think it was an issue with the gearbox or something. Now last week I had my 1.5 eTSI Style go for maintenance, but also got some Software updates (which a lot of us already got) e.g. 90S8 criterium 01, and 91CU criterium 01,02,09,11.

After two days the car was ready to pick up, but since then the braking effect has even become more present. It’s like really annoying now.
When braking smoothly from 50 kph to 0 kph, at a certain point the car just seems to release the brakes for a moment which almost feels as if you get softly pushed by another car from behind. It makes you feel uncomfortable when in traffic, because you don’t know if it will happen and if the car will hit the car in front. It is really unacceptable as far as I’m concerned.

Does anyone else have this issue (after getting the latest updates)?

Sythaera

I too had this ”problem”, which was already pretty annoying, and made me think it was an issue with the gearbox or something. Now last week I had my 1.5 eTSI Style go for maintenance, but also got some Software updates (which a lot of us already got) e.g. 90S8 criterium 01, and 91CU criterium 01,02,09,11.

After two days the car was ready to pick up, but since then the braking effect has even become more present. It’s like really annoying now.
When braking smoothly from 50 kph to 0 kph, at a certain point the car just seems to release the brakes for a moment which almost feels as if you get softly pushed by another car from behind. It makes you feel uncomfortable when in traffic, because you don’t know if it will happen and if the car will hit the car in front. It is really unacceptable as far as I’m concerned.

Does anyone else have this issue (after getting the latest updates)?
That's what I've been feeling since I got my car.
I haven't noticed it getting any worse since 1896. It came delivered with 1804.
No idea if I should contact the workshop about this, or if it is "expected" behavior..

TheDutchieGolf8

That's what I've been feeling since I got my car.
I haven't noticed it getting any worse since 1896. It came delivered with 1804.
No idea if I should contact the workshop about this, or if it is "expected" behavior..
Do you have this issue in the mild variant, so it’s there, but it’s only slightly noticeable, or do you have the issue which I got after updating to 1896, getting a firm full disengagement of the brakes, which makes you think what the hell just happened?
Some people say it could have something to do with the 48V battery for regenerating while braking. But for me, it feels as if it appears when shifting from 3rd to 2nd.

Sythaera

Do you have this issue in the mild variant, so it’s there, but it’s only slightly noticeable, or do you have the issue which I got after updating to 1896, getting a firm full disengagement of the brakes, which makes you think what the hell just happened?
Some people say it could have something to do with the 48V battery for regenerating while braking. But for me, it feels as if it appears when shifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Sorry for being unclear, I meant the full disengagement. I have gotten used to it at this point though, so it doesn't get me by surprise as often anymore

However it's still really annoying and it brings down the driving quality of the car

What version did you come from prior to the update?

TheDutchieGolf8

Sorry for being unclear, I meant the full disengagement. I have gotten used to it at this point though, so it doesn't get me by surprise as often anymore

However it's still really annoying and it brings down the driving quality of the car

What version did you come from prior to the update?
I came from 1668 if I’m correct. I spoke to the dealership which sent a message to the Dutch VW company (PON) and represents VW for The Netherlands. They replied that this is normal behaviour and that the cause lies in the mild hybrid charging system.
I told my dealership that this behaviour wasn’t there before the update, which means it is created because of the update.
The dealership agrees with me, and they tell me that I have to make a complaint to PON and let them handle the issue.
I find this should be solved under warranty (4 years) and I will not be satisfied until the problem is solved.

feds85

Some people say it could have something to do with the 48V battery for regenerating while braking. But for me, it feels as if it appears when shifting from 3rd tI
I think it is a combination, but very likely related to the software. Anyway, always happening when downshifting 3->2 and slow braking.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
VW is aware of this issue and is working on an update according to their erWin webpage.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
The website on question is THIS One. To view actual info you have to pay at least 8€ something (at least with German VAT) for an hour of use.

Reactions: tos