GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bullshit ticket

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
I was driving back down south to school from Chicago yesterday when i was pulled over by illinois finest. The cop comes up to the car and does the usual "did you know why i pulled you over?" i said..."i was speeding?" he said, that and you didnt move over for me (he had pulled someone over as i was passing). I said "i couldn't move over because there was a tahoe in the lane next to me, which their was. I slowed down when i was passing him but his "professional judgment" said otherwise. before he went back to his car to run my info, he said "oh by the way, i noticed that you dont have a front plate". i responded that it was knocked off in an accident a few months prior where a minivan had grazed the front of my car, which is true.

TWENTY MINUTES LATER, he returns to my car and says "well, the officer that was in the median before me clocked you doing 66 in a 65. i was going to write you a ticket but i decided to give you a break for that today because you admitted that you were speeding" I asked it in the form of a question, not a statement, but thank you for your generosity sgt. superdouche). "i also wrote you a warning for no front plate" i had no problem with that one. He then says "unfortunately, i have to give you a ticket for not moving over. you will have a mandatory court appearance and a $120 fine". my first thought was; fucking beautiful. its a 6 hour round trip just to get to court, and i have to leave at 5:30 am just to make it on time. he then goes to tell me that i can talk to the states attorney when i arrive at the courthouse to possibly have it reduced to an improper lane usage charge. he gives me the written warning/the ticket and i leave. He also added following too closely to the warning because my passenger said that he didnt see the cop. i did not say anything about it because i didnt want to argue even though i, myself did see him and the cop that was in the median a half mile prior.

My passenger looked up the law, also known as "scotts law" immediately after we pull away. it states: Scott's Law, also known as the "Move Over Law," requires motorists to yield to moving emergency vehicles, including highway maintenance vehicles, displaying oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights. Additionally, Scott's Law requires a driver to change lanes (if safe to do so) or reduce speed and proceed with caution when approaching a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing warning lights . I followed the law no matter how you look at it. I couldnt move over but i did slow down. if he was expecting me to slam on my brakes to cause an accident, he was mistaken.

I talked to a lawyer friend who said that it is almost certain to be thrown out, but im still pissed that he wrote me a ticket for a law that i was following/that i have to drive 6 hours for nothing. The warning about the plate plus speeding is below for teh lolz. also, i noticed how he quoted that i said i was speeding. what an asshat. the ticket itself wouldnt scan very well.

Attachments

• warning 001.jpg
    warning 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 371

AdvanSuper

Banned
You can defend it yourself or higher a lawyer. The fact that he quoted you said you were speeding and the whole move over thing is where he's trying to fuck you over so you can't say you slowed down.

Instead of giving you just a speeding ticket he went for the big fuck you in the ass with the Move Over ticket.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
You can defend it yourself or higher a lawyer. The fact that he quoted you said you were speeding and the whole move over thing is where he's trying to fuck you over so you can't say you slowed down.

Instead of giving you just a speeding ticket he went for the big fuck you in the ass with the Move Over ticket.

the thing is that he wrote the "i was speeding" part on the warning, not the ticket itself. two separate papers, so i may have a chance

Myfast_GTI

Super User
Definitely fight it... I've always fought tickets and have either got them dropped down or tossed out. Only needed a lawyer once... accident.

If your testimony was that there was a Tahoe in the left lane therefore keeping you from getting over safely, but you proceded to then slow down, you did your part in keeping legal. Key word in that law is "OR". Hypothetically, if it was "and"... then yeah, you'd be screwed.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
LOL!

This is the only time I would ever say fight it. He can't inspect your car unless he had probable cause to do so before he had the intent to pull you over.
Which means he can't pull you over for probable speeding just to check under the hood/vise versa.

66 in a 65, bullshit. I believe every state allots some extra over/under speed.

And no, you won't have a suspension, calm down. My license was suspended for 30 days for doing double (which was stupid I know).

IMO Worst case: a heafty fine + court ordered fix-it ticket for the front plate (just stick in on your dash).

HyeWarrior

Banned
66 in a 65. His wife must be on the rag.

Lmao, seriously what a douche.

My buddy texted me this weekend saying how he finally got his first speeding ticket. I said that sucks, and asked for what, he replied with 95 on the fwy but got it marked down to 72. I didn't even respond after that.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Thats such bullshit. Sucks you have to drive so far because a 12 hour round trip will still cost around 80$ in gas but Im pretty sure you should be able to get it tossed out. If the cop doesnt show up, itll get tossed out and usually when cops know they dont have a valid argument, they wont even waste their time looking like an idiot in the courtroom.

Forget sucking up a ticket and paying the fine. If Im not at fault, Im not going to lie to myself and pay for something I didnt do wrong, dont care even if its 50$ or 150$