GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burnt smell

Enzoyable

Car(s)
golf gti mk7
Hey guys, everytime I park my car and turn off engine it always smell like a hot engine burnt smell. I don't even step on the gas hard. Just doing normal drive. No oil leaks and car runs fantastic.
2015 gti mk7. Does anyone also experience this? Thanks

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yup, it's the smell of plastic in your pocket burning a hole in hopes of that big turbo. I am pretty sure Ed can help you with that

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Sorry mate still new in this. Whats the bedt thing to do? Whos Ed?

Having a little fun at your expense, my appologies. Ed runs EQT tuning and has excellent big turbo and tune options for the GTI/R.

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Coolant level still good?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Miles/Kms? Check oil cap, the sealing rings are shite and leak. Oil runs down back of engine and can get on hot parts. Another oil related item, check the breather/PCV unit on top. They get old and crack/clog resulting in leaks or more oil entering the intake system. As daconchslop alluded to, check the front of the engine under the throttle body area for coolant residue. Whitish powdery looking stuff? Time for a new waterpump/thermostat unit (super common issue).

Otherwise just chalk it up to so many plastic pieces on the engine that smell funny when hot. Oh, and please step on the gas hard. It will make you forget all about those funny smells 😁.

Enzoyable

Car(s)
golf gti mk7
Miles/Kms? Check oil cap, the sealing rings are shite and leak. Oil runs down back of engine and can get on hot parts. Another oil related item, check the breather/PCV unit on top. They get old and crack/clog resulting in leaks or more oil entering the intake system. As daconchslop alluded to, check the front of the engine under the throttle body area for coolant residue. Whitish powdery looking stuff? Time for a new waterpump/thermostat unit (super common issue).

Otherwise just chalk it up to so many plastic pieces on the engine that smell funny when hot. Oh, and please step on the gas hard. It will make you forget all about those funny smells 😁.
86,000kms already. Checked the things you mentioned but all is good.

One more thing mate do you know if what could possibly the cause of mildew smell just behind the left main light facing the car just on the plastic part, after it rained I parked overnight in the garage next morning smells really bad like dead rat. Check if theres something dead but nothing I could find. You wreckon just need a engine wash? Thanks mate.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
86,000kms already. Checked the things you mentioned but all is good.

One more thing mate do you know if what could possibly the cause of mildew smell just behind the left main light facing the car just on the plastic part, after it rained I parked overnight in the garage next morning smells really bad like dead rat. Check if theres something dead but nothing I could find. You wreckon just need a engine wash? Thanks mate.

Check in the cavity of the fender lining (may have to take off the wheel and pull the plastic liner). Something could have got in there and died, or smells like it did when it gets wet.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
did you have an oil change recently? Maybe spilled oil.

How long has it done this and is car new to you?

Shorty has a good suggestion about dead animal

Mud

Enzoyable

Car(s)
golf gti mk7
did you have an oil change recently? Maybe spilled oil.

How long has it done this and is car new to you?

Shorty has a good suggestion about dead animal

Mud
Hi mate. Done service last yr due again in 4,000kms.
I think the smell comes fron plastic panels once itS wet and dry after smells stinks. I bought the car from country side. Any idea how to get rid of the smell from plastic panels?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
maybe pressure wash? Concentrate on under carriage. Mrs Mud had a mouse? die inside her car....for a month we were driving around in it like dogs with our heads outside the windows.