GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying advice for an '08

aodominic

Car(s)
future Mk5 GTI
Been looking at this 2008 GTI for sale. 115k miles. Re-done door trim, headliner. Everything is as it should be. New timing belt, too. Great paint. Sunroof, DSG, etc. The only service history that this dealer keeps is through CarFax (because who cares to keep receipts, right??). In 2008 it was bought at a dealer. Then at 50k miles is the first few services and inspections with oil changes and such. My concern is the gap in the carfax from 0 to 50k miles of service. The first DSG service is noted at 90k. Great condition. Weary of its history. Drove excellent, though. Take a chance or move along? thanks.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Is this dealer a VW dealer, if so they will be able to pull the complete record that Vw has on this car for work done by VW. If not a VW dealer they still should be able to contact any VW dealer and get the history pulled. You yourself might be able to get the record based on the VIN at any VW dealer, keep in mind that they usually want you to be the owner but if you tell them that you want to purchase this car and want to see what history VW has they might play nice.

You can also look at the owners manual to see if any info was written in for service history / maintenance.

Carfax will report only what has been reported to carfax. DIY and you are not going to report to CF when you did an oil change etc.

aodominic

Car(s)
future Mk5 GTI
Is this dealer a VW dealer, if so they will be able to pull the complete record that Vw has on this car for work done by VW. If not a VW dealer they still should be able to contact any VW dealer and get the history pulled. You yourself might be able to get the record based on the VIN at any VW dealer, keep in mind that they usually want you to be the owner but if you tell them that you want to purchase this car and want to see what history VW has they might play nice.

You can also look at the owners manual to see if any info was written in for service history / maintenance.

Carfax will report only what has been reported to carfax. DIY and you are not going to report to CF when you did an oil change etc.
it is a small dealer here in Arizona. I did just that, wrote down all of the dealers it was at, and called them to figure out all that was done to it. My worry is that 0 to 50k gap showing nothing. Also the first DSG service at 90k. I'd hate to let this car slide away. looks decently taken care of since 50k. i dunno. am i looking into it too much?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If your are serious about this car have a PPI done by a VW shop and make sure that they check the condition of the cam follower & Hpfp & Intake cam lobe for the Hpfp. To many people have gotten a new to them Fsi GTI that only blows out a the CF after a few thousand miles because the car had an issue with the above parts and the PO just put a new CF and sent the car down the road.