GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying Advice

plugnpl4y

What's up? I've been browsing this forum for a few days looking for info before a test drive. I've got a few yet unanswered questions about what to watch for on a drive:

1.) I've read about a mechatronic recall - are there any obvious signs it's failing or perhaps has been replaced?

2.) Both of the cars in my area have 4x,xxx miles on them - is there a mechanical reason to ditch the car at this mileage?

3.) Common interior/exterior/rattles/drive-ability issues to watch for?

Links to the ads are below. Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.archibalds.net/used-inventory/WVWKC71K28W122585

http://www.overturfvw.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2008-Volkswagen-R32-2dr_HB_*Ltd_Avail*-Kennewick-WA/1088513403

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
They both have 3 past owners- stay the hell away..
No 2008 should have 3 past owners- bet they had major issues????
JMO
Keep looking.
Ive had 1 Gti lemon lawed and feel sorry for the bastard that bought it.

plugnpl4y

They both have 3 past owners- stay the hell away..
No 2008 should have 3 past owners- bet they had major issues????
JMO
Keep looking.
Ive had 1 Gti lemon lawed and feel sorry for the bastard that bought it.

Damn that sucks. I've searched other parts of WA and every major city has a ton of these '08s for sale. For such a rare car that seems strange.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Why not get a 2011 2.0t--- cheaper to mod anyway and brand new???

plugnpl4y

I guess I'm just partial to the R's and AWD appeals to me. I appreciate the advice.

I think I'm still going to check these two out. The white one comes from a highly recommended dealer and is still under factory warranty for a while. The blue one is CPO so it has an even better warranty.

The number of owners certainly raises a flag - but all things considered I'm the one and only owner of my current car and it's been in several collisions and had a warranty motor replacement.

Anyone else have some used R buying tips?

ikey3125

Ready to race!
reason so many are for sale is everyone who got a 3 year lease is turning them in

Quote from first link:
This is NOT the typical R32 you see that has suffered from unnecessary modifications and customizations typically found on R32 product

WTF? What mods and customizations are these?

Ogbobbylyte

You won't be disappointed man. I've had mine a little over a year and have had no issues. I got mine w/ 26,300 on it and they wanted 27k. I put 4k down and they brought it down to 20k so make sure they move on that price. I'm in Plymouth, Ma and this past winter was terrible but I never second guessed the car for a minute. It's flawless. Good luck w/ the buy and welcome to the fam