GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

C8 or 2022 Golf R?

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
I can't decide which would be a better daily driver. Had a '19 Golf R and a '19 Corvette and liked them both.

Attachments

• 20190810_151317.jpg
    20190810_151317.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20210507-143106_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-143106_Chrome.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 152

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Even your colors speak to the extrovert and introvert nature of both.

If you're truly only looking for a daily driver, Golf R all day.
If you want to track, even a little bit, C8 all day.
Like attention? C8.
Want to be inconspicuous and maybe miss out on a ticket or two? Golf R.

Both have strong resale and are well made. Both get complaints about the user interfaces. Buy both again?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Love the R in gray. Wish I could have found one with the exact spec you had.

I'd never own a Vette. Falling dangerously close to small pee pee territory.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The vette isn't very comfortable to drive. There's no leg room, the windshield feels way too close to your face, the whole cockpit area just feels cramped.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Option C:

ZL1 1LE in manual

Quicker than the R & Vette, falls between the two in comfort and practical-ish daily.

No small PP stigma for those who think that way (I don’t, but I saw some comments round yonder).

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
I am married with children (not a shoe salesman though) and therefore I would pick the R for the additional room. If I weren't married or didn't have kids I'd take the C8 all day every day.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
No small PP stigma for those who think that way (I don’t, but I saw some comments round yonder).
Wait, Camaros don't fall into the compensation camp? I mean, maybe I've been doing it wrong, but a supercharged V8 muscle car is sort of the intersection of compensating and juvenile in my mind. Are they capable? Absolutely, would I feel like Frank the Tank every time I got in it? Again, absolutely.

If the C8 didn't have the stupid, huge ass in order to carry golf clubs, I'd be a lot more interested. Maybe the Z06 will address that, it will certainly bring the engine goods.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Depends on how you identify yourself:
Do you think you’re a Soundcloud ‘trap artist’ who lives with his alimony-rich mom in the Hamptons whose dad can’t be bothered to pay attention to his ‘starter family’ (Golf R) or are you a vertically challenged real estate agent named Anthony (and don’t you dare call him Tony) who says “wonderful opportunity” more than he realizes and spends his freetime impressing saggy titted cheeseburger women at Froggers on Friday nights (C8).

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Wait, Camaros don't fall into the compensation camp? I mean, maybe I've been doing it wrong, but a supercharged V8 muscle car is sort of the intersection of compensating and juvenile in my mind. Are they capable? Absolutely, would I feel like Frank the Tank every time I got in it? Again, absolutely.

If the C8 didn't have the stupid, huge ass in order to carry golf clubs, I'd be a lot more interested. Maybe the Z06 will address that, it will certainly bring the engine goods.

Idk I feel like it’s in the class of 911 and M4 from a working professional / track enthusiast standpoint. Not just the run of the mill mullet machines, specifically the Zl1 1LE.

Just my perspective, but I guess anyone can have a 1k payment for 72 months if they’re as you described.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Idk I feel like it’s in the class of 911 and M4 from a working professional / track enthusiast standpoint. Not just the run of the mill mullet machines, specifically the Zl1 1LE.

Just my perspective, but I guess anyone can have a 1k payment for 72 months if they’re as you described.
Oh, I agree that I give more respect to the 1LE cars, regardless of the ZL1 or not. They're good cars. But lots of bozos drive them too. The Charger/Challenger crowd still have the market cornered, but I still put the Camaro, Mustang and the Dodge cars in the compensation camp. And lot of yokels make huge monthly payments on cars they have no business being in, of course the same is true for soccer moms and Range Rovers, or just the average American car "buyer" these days.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Oh, I agree that I give more respect to the 1LE cars, regardless of the ZL1 or not. They're good cars. But lots of bozos drive them too. The Charger/Challenger crowd still have the market cornered, but I still put the Camaro, Mustang and the Dodge cars in the compensation camp. And lot of yokels make huge monthly payments on cars they have no business being in, of course the same is true for soccer moms and Range Rovers, or just the average American car "buyer" these days.

Agreed. Compensation camps exist whether you choose to think that way or not. It's a stigma for a reason. So are stereotypes. Doesn't mean you can label every single person as being in that category, but they exist.

Soccer moms driving "regular" vans fall into the "can't afford this shouldn't be driving it" category these days. Have you seen the average price for a new car in the US right now? Over 40k. Maybe not 1k per month, but easily $600 - $700 @ 72 months if you don't plan on putting a stack of cash down, which is a bad place to put your money anyway. Look at the prices of trucks and SUVs. You can spend 60k easy. Makes a 40k Golf R look cheap.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Agreed. Compensation camps exist whether you choose to think that way or not. It's a stigma for a reason. So are stereotypes. Doesn't mean you can label every single person as being in that category, but they exist.

Soccer moms driving "regular" vans fall into the "can't afford this shouldn't be driving it" category these days. Have you seen the average price for a new car in the US right now? Over 40k. Maybe not 1k per month, but easily $600 - $700 @ 72 months if you don't plan on putting a stack of cash down, which is a bad place to put your money anyway. Look at the prices of trucks and SUVs. You can spend 60k easy. Makes a 40k Golf R look cheap.

The days of a 40k R have passed too, Mk8R starts around 46k IIRC.

I paid $23,500 for my Gti and $30,500 for the GLI AB. Both new from the same dealership, just five year apart. I’ve never been able to justify the extra cost of a R.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

I paid $23,500 for my Gti and $30,500 for the GLI AB. Both new from the same dealership, just five year apart. I’ve never been able to justify the extra cost of a R.
Where did you get that price? It's $47,645 in Canada with the DSG and sunroof, and the fX is about $0.81 currently. Although C&D does state a price of $44,640, it will be interesting to see if that's for the manual and the DSG is an upcharge, or if VW has switched to BMW's model of the base price being for the DSG and the manual being a "no cost" option.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

The day's of a cheap GTI are gone too. They start at 29k, a jump from around 25k just a few years ago. I feel like each 10k increment is another level up when it comes to buying a car. In 2019 when I purchased my R, I actually went to buy a GTI AB because it had Silver White Metallic paint, which I'm still in love with btw. They wanted almost as much as the R. The difference was going to be about 3k before discounts / haggling. I ended up getting a smoking deal on the R - $38.5k. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise. In this crazy market, It's worth more now than when I bought it brand new in July 2019.

Some people don't have the time or resources to mod cars the way you do. The average person just wants to point and shoot, and keep their warranty in the process. A stage 1 R makes north of 300 wheel on 91 fuel, that's not bad far a reliable daily street car especially with AWD, though warranty would be a different story in that case.

As far as the MK8 R is concerned - if dealers decide to mark the thing up about 5k (which seems like the standard for this type of car) you will be forced to pay MSRP and then some. After TTL and doc fees, we are nipping the heels of 60k. That's just plain stupid. Just go get a like new M2 comp or RS3 for that price.