GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camera recommendations

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Looking to get a decent camera for hiking pics, car pics, dog pics, and general photographing. Not looking to skimp on cost but not trying to overspend on stuff I don't need. I k ow that lenses really are where the money pit starts so let's have at it... what are you using and would you recommend or not?

ahard48

Ready to race!
Also interested in this. Have read a lot about cameras and have been looking into Nikon D3300/3400

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
What kind of shooting do you want to do? It makes a difference as to what camera I'd recommend.

I went from shooting Nikon film SLR & then DSLR cameras to shoot with Fuji Mirrorless cameras. I'm now shooting with an old Fuji XE-1 & a new Fuji XT-2 along with various Fuji lenses. Mirrorless has enabled me to lighten my kit which for me was one of the main reasons for choosing it. Another are the wonderful images they capture.

Nothing wrong with Nikon DSLR's, they make some great cameras.

Start your search here.... https://www.dpreview.com/

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've got a nikon d3200 I've been using for a few years. It's not a bad camera, but I only use it when I want to do a serious photoshoot otherwise I just use my phone for almost everything. If you're just getting into photography those entry level nikon dslrs are probably one of the best ways to go about it. They sell them in a kit with 2 lenses and a bag at best buy. That's the way I went about it, but I've rarely had to use the larger lens.

Then you have to actually learn how to use it which isn't that bad, but you at least need to know about iso, shutter speed, and aperture.

Lightroom is also an excellent editing program that's very simple to use, any dummy could use it.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
ideally i'd like something that takes decent photos, that is not my phone, and isn't too bad weight wise so i can pack it with me on outdoorsy things i partake in. thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
All cameras are capable of taking good photos, even a phone. If you want light weight for hiking I'd consider something like a Fuji XE-3 with a kit lens. Light, easy to carry & capable of getting amazing images.

Yes I'm really into the Fuji ecosystem.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
When weight and size is a consideration, I have been happy with my Sony α6300 and the current model, the α6500, is a nice improvement with the touchscreen. Many Zeiss lenses are available as well as good Sony and third-party lenses. With adapters, you can use lenses from almost any other manufacturer. I travel with the body, a Tamron 18-200mm, a Zeiss 12mm and a Sony 50mm with a set of macro filters. The Tamron and Zeiss are for the APS-C size sensor and the Sony is for a full-frame so it is really about a 70mm lens on the α6300. It all fits nicely into a messenger bag sized camera bag or in pouches in my backpack if I am hiking.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm a Canon boy, and you can find some killer deals on their official Canon refurb website. Years ago, I bought a Rebel SL1 (100D) kit with the EF-S 18-55mm lens for $250 (50% off MSRP). It had a grand total of 17 mirror actuations. So basically brand new.
I recently upgraded to the Canon SL2 (200D), which has some solid upgrades over the 1st gen (Dual Pixel auto-focus, wireless connectivity, better ergonomics, better battery life).
These cameras have the advantage of being incredibly tiny - I take mine hiking and camping all the time. They are officially the smallest and lightest modern DSLR. The body weighs less than a pound.
As for lenses, I cannot recommend Sigma enough. They are incredibly affordable and make some of the best glass. My two favorite lenses are their Sigma Art 30mm f/1.4 and their Sigma Contemporary 17-70mm f/2-4. Crazy sharp lenses and high quality. they make lenses for all the popular camera mounts.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Since DSLR cameras are going the way of the dinosaurs the prices are falling. They are still very fine cameras that some can be had for bargain prices. I buy all my gear used, sure saves a lot of money. With the way folks jump to the latest & greatest offerings there are always clean used equipment available. Lenses too, but people don't sell those as much.

Sigma lenses used to be pure junk. I haven't owned one for probably 30 years. Everything I read says they are now very good. I'd try one, but unfortunately for me they don't make a Fuji X mount lens.

I think the Canon SL2 is a pretty nice camera.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure when they turned a new leaf, but their Art and Contemporary lines are an excellent bang-for-buck lens. Their 24-70 f/2.8 Art is a genuine budget replacement for the Canon L version of that lens. Love my Sigma lenses. And you can adjust for any potential front/back focus at home with some software they provide.
I think I will be waiting another year or two for the Canon EOS R or EOS RP to pop up in the used market for reasonable prices. Those mirrorless cameras are the first I've used that I genuinely didn't miss anything from a DSLR. The EVF on the EOS R is so close to an OVF.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I really like the EVF on my Fuji's. Seeing what the sensor sees is huge. Subtract or add exposure & see it real time without having to chimp the rear screen.

Con you use your APSC lenses on an R or RP? Maybe with an adapter?

torga

Autocross Champion
Yes, Canon has two very good OEM EF/EF-S to RF adapters. The cheaper one is a basic adapter and the higher-end one gives you an extra control ring, like the ones present in the native RF lenses. You can assign aperture, shutter speed or ISO functions to that ring. In addition to the dual control dials on the body, the extra ring is incredibly useful.

zrickety

The Fixer
My wife is the camera person...she has an older Canon Rebel XTi that has lost it's focus. I bought her a newer Canon at Christmas that was also disappointing. She went with a highly rated Sony that I can't find right now. She likes it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Right now Sony is king of the mirrorless FF market. That could change with Nikon & Canon coming out with their own FF mirrorless cameras. Truth be told all the newish cameras are quite good.