GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Caption contest time!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
They got weird with you because it's an emissions and mileage rating thing, not because 5w-40 will damage your engine or that they'll deny your warranty. I will guarantee you VWOA has never asked for the oil viscosity that is in a car when approving a warranty claim. VWOA will never ever, ever, never, ever tell you that you can run anything but 0w-20 in a 2019 because they would open themselves up to lawsuits and regulatory action. After dieselgate, I'm sure they are the one manufacture that is ACUTELY aware of the implications of doing ANYTHING to affect mileage or emissions. Here's the bottom line. Neither VW or the dealer know or care what oil you run, nor will they check, nor do they have the capability of finding out. How many times have you had an engine replaced under warranty? Had 3 engines replaced in an 08 STI for failed pistons. All they checked was for ECU flash. Had 1 replaced in a Miata for failed rod bearing. All they checked is that it had oil in it. If you regularly changed your oil, no one is going to care if it was 0w20, 5w-30 or 5w-40. You're being ridiculous. This demonstrates your lack of understanding of the complexities of this issue as well as the complexities of climate change. Stalling is just one possible symptom of reported and actual timing not being the same. This has been recorded. Just because your car doesn't stall, doesn't mean actual and reported timing is the same. No one is claiming fraud or a conspiracy. What you're doing is creating a strawman argument. Actual oil pressure and reported oil pressure not being the same can cause driveability issues, damage to the O2 sensor, and/or stalling, depending on a combination of temp, humidity, altitude, octane, and learned ecu values. Because there are so many variables, some cars don't stall at all. VW is only required and motivated to stop the cars from stalling, because that's what people complained to the NHTSA about. With the scrutiny that they've been under since dieselgate, they aren't going to tell you to change oil viscosity, because that could affect mileage and emissions, which could raise eyebrows at the EPA. They focused on keeping the cars from stalling with an ECU update. That isn't a conspiracy, that's just the tough spot they're in. You guys sound pretty ridiculous. The EPA isn't going to come after me for changing oil weight and I need 5w-40 for track anyway, so I choose to fix the root cause of the issue, not put a bandaid on the symptoms like VW is doing, because their hands are tied. You do whatever you want with your car, but don't float ridiculous conspiracies that VW will deny engine warranties because someone uses 5w-xx oil in an engine that was designed for and used that oil until this year. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Doesn't change that we have documented that recorded and actual timing differences. Some cars never stalled, we have at least one stall after the update, some ran terrible, some destroyed O2 sensors. Something in the combination of learned adaptions (which will vary car to car, region to region, driver habits to driver habits, etc..., the oil change, the oil pump change, ECU tune, Octane and gas quality, etc... is causing multiple issues, stalling being one of them. I guarentee you that giving the engine enough oil pressure to properly operate the VVT by using 5w-xx isn't making the problem worse and isn't going to cause VW to deny your warranty.

Take a breath please..you're going blue in the face....!!

I know its a caption competition, & you win for the longest caption...but I don't see the link between your post & the dog on the car windowsill …

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think he meant to post that in the stalling thread. People have been arguing about oil viscosity for about a week now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That's amazing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
They got weird with you because it's an emissions and mileage rating thing, not because 5w-40 will damage your engine or that they'll deny your warranty. I will guarantee you VWOA has never asked for the oil viscosity that is in a car when approving a warranty claim. VWOA will never ever, ever, never, ever tell you that you can run anything but 0w-20 in a 2019 because they would open themselves up to lawsuits and regulatory action. After dieselgate, I'm sure they are the one manufacture that is ACUTELY aware of the implications of doing ANYTHING to affect mileage or emissions. Here's the bottom line. Neither VW or the dealer know or care what oil you run, nor will they check, nor do they have the capability of finding out. How many times have you had an engine replaced under warranty? Had 3 engines replaced in an 08 STI for failed pistons. All they checked was for ECU flash. Had 1 replaced in a Miata for failed rod bearing. All they checked is that it had oil in it. If you regularly changed your oil, no one is going to care if it was 0w20, 5w-30 or 5w-40. You're being ridiculous. This demonstrates your lack of understanding of the complexities of this issue as well as the complexities of climate change. Stalling is just one possible symptom of reported and actual timing not being the same. This has been recorded. Just because your car doesn't stall, doesn't mean actual and reported timing is the same. No one is claiming fraud or a conspiracy. What you're doing is creating a strawman argument. Actual oil pressure and reported oil pressure not being the same can cause driveability issues, damage to the O2 sensor, and/or stalling, depending on a combination of temp, humidity, altitude, octane, and learned ecu values. Because there are so many variables, some cars don't stall at all. VW is only required and motivated to stop the cars from stalling, because that's what people complained to the NHTSA about. With the scrutiny that they've been under since dieselgate, they aren't going to tell you to change oil viscosity, because that could affect mileage and emissions, which could raise eyebrows at the EPA. They focused on keeping the cars from stalling with an ECU update. That isn't a conspiracy, that's just the tough spot they're in. You guys sound pretty ridiculous. The EPA isn't going to come after me for changing oil weight and I need 5w-40 for track anyway, so I choose to fix the root cause of the issue, not put a bandaid on the symptoms like VW is doing, because their hands are tied. You do whatever you want with your car, but don't float ridiculous conspiracies that VW will deny engine warranties because someone uses 5w-xx oil in an engine that was designed for and used that oil until this year. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Doesn't change that we have documented that recorded and actual timing differences. Some cars never stalled, we have at least one stall after the update, some ran terrible, some destroyed O2 sensors. Something in the combination of learned adaptions (which will vary car to car, region to region, driver habits to driver habits, etc..., the oil change, the oil pump change, ECU tune, Octane and gas quality, etc... is causing multiple issues, stalling being one of them. I guarentee you that giving the engine enough oil pressure to properly operate the VVT by using 5w-xx isn't making the problem worse and isn't going to cause VW to deny your warranty.

Slightly too long for a caption.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
" Ha... Wil. E. Coyote didn't have a GLI.... "

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I don't think we're in Oz, anymore.