GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car buying bug....

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I'm currently wrestling with the idea of getting a different car. I currently have 3 vehicles in the garage - 2013 Volvo XC70 (wife's car), 2013 GTI (my car) and a Ducati Monster (weekend toy).
I've been barely riding the Ducati lately due to work, being busy with the house, kids, etc. I've also been having the itch to get rid of the GTI. I absolutely love the car but would like something else just to switch things up as I've been driving GTI's for the past 11 years. The GTI is also starting to ride a bit to choppy for my taste, that was fine when I was 25 but I'm 36 going on 37. I'm thinking about selling the Ducati as it's a shame to have it just sit and essentially rot away and replacing the GTI with one of the following:

Volvo V60 R-Design (the one with the turbo inline 6):
Turbo I6 - Great engine, reliable, no carbon build up isses
Still as practical or even more so than the GTI has it's a wagon
AWD (not really needed in Texas but nice to have)
Kid friendly even though my wife's car is the kid hauler

Chevrolet SS:
LS V8 - One of the best engines hands down from my previous experience owning LS powered cars. Can easily outlast the car and make tons of power.
Less practical than the GTI or the V60 as it's a sedan and the rear seats don't fold.
Gas mileage will be in the high teens low 20's. :(

Thoughts? Maybe I just need to perform some mods on the GTI to get over the car buying bug.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I'm currently wrestling with the idea of getting a different car. I currently have 3 vehicles in the garage - 2013 Volvo XC70 (wife's car), 2013 GTI (my car) and a Ducati Monster (weekend toy).
I've been barely riding the Ducati lately due to work, being busy with the house, kids, etc. I've also been having the itch to get rid of the GTI. I absolutely love the car but would like something else just to switch things up as I've been driving GTI's for the past 11 years. The GTI is also starting to ride a bit to choppy for my taste, that was fine when I was 25 but I'm 36 going on 37. I'm thinking about selling the Ducati as it's a shame to have it just sit and essentially rot away and replacing the GTI with one of the following:

Volvo V60 R-Design (the one with the turbo inline 6):
Turbo I6 - Great engine, reliable, no carbon build up isses
Still as practical or even more so than the GTI has it's a wagon
AWD (not really needed in Texas but nice to have)
Kid friendly even though my wife's car is the kid hauler

Chevrolet SS:
LS V8 - One of the best engines hands down from my previous experience owning LS powered cars. Can easily outlast the car and make tons of power.
Less practical than the GTI or the V60 as it's a sedan and the rear seats don't fold.
Gas mileage will be in the high teens low 20's. :(

Thoughts? Maybe I just need to perform some mods on the GTI to get over the car buying bug.

I too have that bug but Im back in school and broke as shit, I would like a faster, longer wheel base with more comfort...nearing 30 the rattling jarring ride on these ft worth tx roads sucks... then again id love a used 911 or cayman..

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Have you considered any other brands like Audi or BMW?

I used to have a Harley so I get what youre saying on that front. Before I had a wofe and kids I literally rode everywhere and my truck sat in the parking lot. I've since sold it and really miss riding. Hopefully when the kids get older I'll get back into it. Why don't you at least ride to work?

CHerna

Ready to race!
From your listed options, my vote goes to the Chevy SS, all day! I am an LS fan myself. Although you might miss the VW interior quality.

vladius

from the options you listed i’d get the volvo. but id also consider an audi wagon. the a6 got the supercharged engine that the s4 got for some years, that motor is a beasf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
C5/C6 Vette.. LS2/3 :iono:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
What's turbo i6? Polestar!

SJC

Ready to race!
My motorcycle would have to be pried out of my hot, sweaty, shaking hands.

Audi TT wil be my next car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Keep it, freshen the shocks and put a K04 on it. It will transform the car, you will not want to get rid of it. That is why I have had my MKV for 10years. I am old and up until now I usually got a new car every 3 years.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would try a couple mods on the GTI, or trade it in on an R. If you like the Volvo, go that route. I'm personally not a fan, aren't they owned by China? Made in Belgium? I've got the new car bug too, but nothing family friendly appeals to me except the R, and that just barely.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I too am in the buying mind.

Although im looking about buying a used 600 sport bike not a car. I used to ride back in highschool and stuff but now i wanna buy a bike and do hoodrat shit with my hoodrat friends again.

I will have my car paid off in the next 3-4 months assuming my bonus comes through this month.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd take the Volvo. You already have one in the garage, why not make it 2. Just beware of the extreme Volvo depreciation though having a "special" model would help curb that. I've thought about them, but I just don't want want to give up a manual.

I'm currently thinking pretty hard about going back to a TDI wagon. My 2012 GTI is probably going to be up for sale soon.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Quick update:

I drove both cars this past weekend just to get a sense of if it's worth to jump ship. I have to say that both cars impressed me for different reasons.

SS:
I drove the SS first and I have to say that this is probably the best 4 door sedan that I've ever driven and deserves every bit of praise that the automotive journalists have given the SS. The car handled better than the GTI, was more comfortable and the LS3 is just an amazing motor. The interior quality is on par with the GTI in my opinion and the seats are more comfortable.

V60 R-Design
This car surprised me. I expected the SS to be good due to the fact that the car magazines kept giving it high praise but you never hear much about the V60 R-Design. The I6 turbo in this car was a ton of fun, almost on par with the LS3. It pulled like a freight train from just above idle to redline and the I6 sounds great (almost old school GTR-esque).
The seats were the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in and I'd love to rip them out and put them in my living room, I'd probably never get up. The interior quality is amazing but that is to be expected from Volvo, with the only downside being the outdated center stack. The handling was great for a wagon but not quite on par with the GTI and definitely not on par with the SS. Good for a wagon though and could probably surprise a ton of cars. Some magazines state a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds which definitely felt correct if not even understated. The Volvo depreciation also means that I can get into the V60 about $10k cheaper than the SS.

From a pure driving perspective the SS won hands down and is probably the best sedan you can currently buy below $50k. This is the car I'd drive in a perfect world. I think ultimately the V60 won out due to the perfect mix of speed, practicality and comfort.

Now I just have to find a V60 R-Design with the right color/options combo.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sold one of my other cars few weeks back, so looking for another fun car. Drove an Alfa 4C today, love it to death, not many around for sale but the Sellers all want basically the list price they paid when the car was new.