GOLFMKV

Car & Driver 1st Review

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I first read this a couple hours ago and that last paragraph still has me thinking about back tracking to the PP GTI :/ I wish the PP and R were available to test drive in the US right now.

As it was before, the new Golf R is its own thing. The question is whether it’s a thing you necessarily want. Its Audi sibling comes off as a shade sharper, Subaru’s competitor is magnitudes more violent, and the R’s more-fun GTI baby brother costs significantly less. Those three cars all tickle a primal gearhead sweet spot. In contrast, the R fills a need but doesn’t leave you quite as thrilled as you’d like to be.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
I first read this a couple hours ago and that last paragraph still has me thinking about back tracking to the PP GTI :/ I wish the PP and R were available to test drive in the US right now.

Read this
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1412-2015-volkswagen-golf-r-review/
The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R is improved in every way: It’s faster and has more grip, better fuel economy and additional equipment. As always, the Golf R commands a significant premium over a GTI, but it's worth it for the extra performance. This is a car you could drive every single day of the year, whether hitting the track, slogging through miserable weather, or making a cross-country trip. It's that well-rounded.
And did we mention the news about the stability control?

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1412-2015-volkswagen-golf-r-review/#ixzz3KitIeB7z
Follow us: @AutomobileMag on Twitter | AutomobileMag on Facebook

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
sounds like they dont like the manual because of pedal spacing and it doesnt hold boost as well. AWD cars always seem to be a little more tamped down as they say

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

I've driven the Mk7 GTI, and (obviously) not the R, but I'm still left wanting the R. Let me explain.

The new GTI is a remarkable car. It's very solid, handles well, makes bumps disappear, and accelerates quite nicely. If I couldn't spend more than $30K on a car, it'd be sitting in front of my house right now. But I can afford the $40K which VW is asking for the first 500 R's. I like the fact that the R might not feel quite as "lively" as the GTI, while it accelerates much faster or holds all 4 wheels on the tarmac as it goes through a corner at higher speeds than the GTI. There's a place for the types of cars that require you to throw everything you have into hustling it around corners as fast as you can--cars like the GTI and the STI--and as much as I enjoy that type of car very much, I've grown even fonder of cars which can move even faster through a curve but do so effortlessly and still leave you grinning afterwards. And from virtually all the reports which I've read about the R, that is precisely its forte. But that's only in the dry. In the rain and especially in the snow, review after review have praised how amazing the Golf R performs under those conditions. For one who on occasion watches his wife dive off on snow covered streets, that alone would make me willing to pay a premium over the GTI.

But there's more to why I've been waiting for well over a year to be able to buy the new Golf R, and not a GTI or an STI. To me, the GTI just looks a shade too gimmicky for my tastes. The red striping inside and out; those big plastic slits on the sides of the grille; they all say "hey look at me" in a way that Subaru only further magnifies to almost cartoonish levels. The R seems to have been designed to coolly say "why yes, I'm fast" with the reserve that only comes with confidence--substituting larger, functional, air ducts for the GTI's plastic slits, and deleting it's front wheel drive brethren's bright red striping, stitching, and lighting for silver accents, and blue and white illumination. In short, the R is a very hot hatchback without the "boy racer" looks and aura, which again suits me fine.

Let's not forget that this is a VW Golf, with its TARDIS-like capacity for fitting passengers and cargo, something which the S3 and STI simply can't match in their sedan configurations. And like all other MK7 Golfs with their MQB structure, the car is solid and built with great tactility all around--just like it's Audi cousin, and miles ahead of what Subaru provides.

But my last reason for buying the upcoming R over the GTI is something I'm a bit hesitant to admit: I like the exclusivity of the R. There is something to knowing that VW will be selling tens of thousands of GTI's in the US, but only a handful of R's (500 of the 2015 vintage). Most people on the street won't know nor notice, but I will, and that's important--at least to me. Just like 95% of the time when I drive I won't be pushing the car anywhere near its limits, but all the time which I'll be driving I'll be doing so knowing what the car could do if I chose to do so. And for that 5% of the rest of the time behind the wheel, I guess that's where Car & Driver and I will likely differ. . .

Last edited:

Jeremy1976

Ready to race!
I've driven the Mk7 GTI, and (obviously) not the R, but I'm still left wanting the R. Let me explain.

The new GTI is a remarkable car. It's very solid, handles well, makes bumps disappear, and accelerates quite nicely. If I couldn't spend more than $30K on a car, it'd be sitting in front of my house right now. But I can afford the $40K which VW is asking for the first 500 R's. I like the fact that the R might not feel quite as "lively" as the GTI, while it accelerates much faster or holds all 4 wheels on the tarmac as it goes through a corner at higher speeds than the GTI. There's a place for the types of cars that require you to throw everything you have into hustling it around corners as fast as you can--cars like the GTI and the STI--and as much as I enjoy that type of car very much, I've grown even fonder of cars which can move even faster through a curve but do so effortlessly and still leave you grinning afterwards. And from virtually all the reports which I've read about the R, that is precisely its forte. But that's only in the dry. In the rain and especially in the snow, review after review have praised how amazing the Golf R performs under those conditions. For one who on occasion watches his wife dive off on snow covered streets, that alone would make me willing to pay a premium over the GTI.

But there's more to why I've been waiting for well over a year to be able to buy the new Golf R, and not a GTI or an STI. To me, the GTI just looks a shade too gimmicky for my tastes. The red striping inside and out; those big plastic slits on the sides of the grille; they all say "hey look at me" in a way that Subaru only further magnifies to almost cartoonish levels. The R seems to have been designed to coolly say "why yes, I'm fast" with the reserve that only comes with confidence--substituting larger, functional, air ducts for the GTI's plastic slits, and deleting it's front wheel drive brethren's bright red striping, stitching, and lighting for silver accents, and blue and white illumination. In short, the R is a very hot hatchback without the "boy racer" looks and aura, which again suits me fine.

Let's not forget that this is a VW Golf, with its TARDIS-like capacity for fitting passengers and cargo, something which the S3 and STI simply can't match in their sedan configurations. And like all other MK7 Golfs with their MQB structure, the car is solid and built with great tactility all around--just like it's Audi cousin, and miles ahead of what Subaru provides.

But my last reason for buying the upcoming R over the other cars which Car and Driver compares it to is something I'm a bit hesitant to admit: I like the exclusivity of the R. There is something to knowing that VW will be selling tens of thousands of GTI's in the US, but only a handful of R's (500 of the 2015 vintage). Most people on the street won't know nor notice, but I will, and that's important--at least to me. Just like 95% of the time when I drive I won't be pushing the car anywhere near its limits, But all the time which I'll be driving I'll be doing so knowing what the car could do if I chose to do so. And for that 5% of the rest of the time behind the wheel, I guess that's where Car & Driver and I will likely differ. . .

Well said my man! I agree on all counts of your post!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
wisely spoken, Al !!

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Well put Al. The only thing that I'm not sold on is that major car editors that have reviewed both cars say that R is not as fun to drive daily. I'm buying this car only because I want a fun and practical daily driver, I have a car in the garage that is used strictly for racing that will outperform what any Golf would be capable of. I can easily afford either of these models too, but if I can save $5-10K (plus the insurance difference) and have a car that is more fun to drive then it seems like a no brainer.

Looks are subjective, while you might think the red-stripe and slits look boy racer, I think 4 exhaust tips on a 4 cylinder says the same. Neither has anything on the competitions boy racer looks who has hood scoops and large spoilers though. And we both know we don't typically see that much snow here in Philly, streets get cleared quick and we always have public transit as a backup. There is nothing a GTI PP with decent tires couldn't get through that the R could around here.

I'm still on the fence though, I have a PP car that I ordered back in Sept but I got excited after seeing the R is being released earlier than expected. I love the idea of having the exclusivity of being one of the first numbered 500 R units too, so if I'm able to get into the pre-order group I will most likely go with the R. If not, I'll probably fall back on the PP car. My dealer is aware of my situation, they are sure the PP car I ordered will sell quick if I don't decide to go with it. Let see how the pre-order plays out.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
For me, 40K is a helluva lot of money to spend on a car that people will mistake for a base Golf.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
For me, 40K is a helluva lot of money to spend on a car that people will mistake for a base Golf.

They won't mistake it if they can see or hear, I'd assume the majority of car enthusiasts possess one of the two senses:)

mrlapou

Ready to race!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
They won't mistake it if they can see or hear, I'd assume the majority of car enthusiasts possess one of the two senses:)

I'm not talking about car enthusiasts.
I hate to come off this way, because for the most part I could care less about status or what people who don't know cars think about my car.
But, I'd feel differently if I had $40,000 to spend on a car.
The GTI makes sense to me, because you get a lot for a comparative little and it competes well with similarly optioned cars in its price range.
There's just this thing about the R (and it's the same for the MK6 R as well) where if I had the money to spend on one, I just wouldn't.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm not talking about car enthusiasts.
I hate to come off this way, because for the most part I could care less about status or what people who don't know cars think about my car.
But, I'd feel differently if I had $40,000 to spend on a car.
The GTI makes sense to me, because you get a lot for a comparative little and it competes well with similarly optioned cars in its price range.
There's just this thing about the R (and it's the same for the MK6 R as well) where if I had the money to spend on one, I just wouldn't.

I feel the same...the Golf R always seems about $5k overpriced no matter how amazing it is. For $40k I'd like to see the Audi 3.0T in the car, which would then justify the price for me.