GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carista. Throttle response behavior - meaning?

bertj

Ready to race!
One of the options in Carista is entitled 'Throttle response behavior'.

There are two possible settings - 'Gradual, controlled by time' and 'Direct, controlled by threshold'

Could someone explain to me what these setting mean?

Thanks in advance.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Gradual, controls throttle based on the speed and pressure you put on the pedal.
Direct, will feel like your pedal is directly connected by cable. You put your foot 50% down, you get 50% throttle

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
Gradual, controls throttle based on the speed and pressure you put on the pedal.
Direct, will feel like your pedal is directly connected by cable. You put your foot 50% down, you get 50% throttle

both of these seem to describe the "NORMAL" engine setting in US GTIs. more linear than the on/off "SPORT" setting, which feels like you get 75% throttle with 25% pedal movement...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I only drive in Sport setting and the switch made a difference. I enjoy it much more than gradual. The difference is small, so not surprised a lot of people don't notice any difference.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Does this setting stick, or does it reset after each ignition cycle?

It sticks, as far as I know. I can check after work.

Edit: yeah it stays in Direct mode

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Is there any delay from when you press the gas pedal until the throttle responds with this tweak?

Not that I've noticed, it's pretty direct. I'll start paying more attention to that.

bertj

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the comments - I'll try changing it when the weather improves. Snow and ice here in the UK but nothing like parts of the USA!

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I switched mine to the direct and I notice a subtle difference.I switched it back cause it is winter here with slippery roads and it was too quick from a stop and the car would spin too much if you were not careful.I have a 7 speed DSG.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
This might have just saved me a heck of a lot of baffling frustration.

After realizing the vehicle had a "launch assist" feature, and jousting with it constantly, I noticed I was having trouble with fairly basic operations.

It felt like the normal amount of rise to get it moving just wasn't enough; and the vehicle wasn't responding to quick blips of the throttle; even in sport mode. Now I know where to start looking.

I don't suppose a dealer would change this for me with an hour or so of labor on the book? I don't have any manner of home diagnostic capability for the vehicle yet.

Won't know whether or not I need to disable the "car will get itself rolling in first without stalling" feature until I know what the throttle is like when it works properly.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
VCDS ftw. So very very useful. Worth it vs OBD11 imo. I have a feeling at least some people end up owning both because they didn't just get VCDS first. Buying that was the first extra thing I bought the same day I brought the car home. I knew one way or another, it would be handy.