GOLFMKV

Catted or Catless

Catted or Catless?

• Total voters

WonderWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just got a borla s-type 3 inch catback installed on my 2017 GTI and originally planned on going with a CTS catless downpipe and a stage 2 pop and bang tune from unitronic. The catback alone already pops and is pretty loud, and so now I’m thinking about going catted and just regular stage 2, since I’ve heard pop and bang tunes tend to destroy cats. I want the pops and bangs but don’t want to deal with the smell, the chance it might be way too loud, and potential attention from police. Is anyone running a combo like this (awe track is about the same as the borla s-type) and willing to give their insight? Any advice is helpful. :)

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I got excited thinking that borla made a 3 inch system but after looking it up it's 2.5 inch.

To add though, a cat really quiets the exhaust down. I went from a muffler delete to a custom muffler setup with a catted downpipe and it was way too quiet. Sounded stock. Removed the cat and it went from zero to hero and is quite loud.

WonderWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I got excited thinking that borla made a 3 inch system but after looking it up it's 2.5 inch.

To add though, a cat really quiets the exhaust down. I went from a muffler delete to a custom muffler setup with a catted downpipe and it was way too quiet. Sounded stock. Removed the cat and it went from zero to hero and is quite loud.
They have a cheaper 2.5 inch catback and then a 3 inch s type catback that splits into two 2.5 inch just for sake of splitting the sound. 4 inch tips tho?.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
They have a cheaper 2.5 inch catback and then a 3 inch s type catback that splits into two 2.5 inch just for sake of splitting the sound. 4 inch tips tho?.
Got a part number? I'm interested.

[EDIT] I'm a blind idiot, it's 140750 for anyone else who sees this thread in the future.

Last edited:

WonderWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Got a part number? I'm interested.

[EDIT] I'm a blind idiot, it's 140750 for anyone else who sees this thread in the future.
Honestly might just be me, but I’m glad I spent the money. I was gonna go for the awe track since it was on sale, but they didn’t have the tip style I wanted. It’s a lot, but worth it when you upshift at 4K and pop loud af with just a catback and stock dp. Can’t wait to see what it’s like with a new downpipe, which from the looks of this thread is probably gonna be catted?.

WonderWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Is this true??
Yes. What you’re doing is essentially igniting unburnt fuel which can leave soot on the cat and once there’s enough soot to completely cover your cat, the exhaust has nowhere to go so it’ll either cause an explosion in your downpipe or, even worse, your turbo. Some guys risk it and run pop and bang tunes on performance cats but reading up on the science behind it, I’d rather not risk it.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. What you’re doing is essentially igniting unburnt fuel which can leave soot on the cat and once there’s enough soot to completely cover your cat, the exhaust has nowhere to go so it’ll either cause an explosion in your downpipe or, even worse, your turbo. Some guys risk it and run pop and bang tunes on performance cats but reading up on the science behind it, I’d rather not risk it.

You do realize this ''overrun'' feature is present on OE car manufactures (AMG, Audi RS models, BMW M models, Sport hatchback, Supercars, etc.)

I highly doubt car manufactures would ''risk'' this.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Ignition retard or cut yes can be bad on cats... but drag racer launch control is way more aggressive than a little fuel and spark retard on decel. Like anything else, it just depends. I trust OEMs did their testing to ensure no significant impact to cats or O2 sensors etc. Now a super aggressive crackle tunes may be a different story.