GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chainsaws

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Gas or electric? I’m looking to get a chainsaw for light/medium duty around my house (2 acres with decent sized woods) both gas and battery powered have pros and cons and I can’t decide on which one to get. what are you guys using and why?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
I just bought a cordless chainsaw as part of a shift to another tool ecosystem (moved from the ECHO 58v line to Greenworks 60v).

As a suburban homeowner my landscaping needs aren't very demanding and I abandoned gas outdoor power equipment years ago. I got this 16" Greenworks model for general cleanup after storms, breaking down firewood, etc. It's still in the mail so I can't comment on performance but I think it'll be more than up to the task.

After watching and reading lots of cordless chainsaw reviews, I think the new models can easily handle most residential needs. Some may lack the grunt of gas but the lack of noise and maintenance is a huge plus. Plus, if you already have cordless tools you can potentially leverage your existing batteries since it seems everyone has a line of OPE now.

Last edited:

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
I agree with everything you said. I currently don’t have any cordless system tools but could possibly add some in the future. Greenworks makes a great product and has even better customer service, I have dealt with them for my pressure washer. My neighbor does lots of tree/wood work and has a sweet dewalt that he grabs over his gas saws most of the time. I like the dewalt and this https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...-5-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-RY40580/314600175

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
I've had a Stihl MS290 with a 20" bar for several years. I've been tempted by battery saws, but I can't justify replacing a saw that runs perfectly well. I did, however, buy an Atlas battery pole saw from HF last spring. It's done a great job so far.
The main advantage to gas is run time. This summer I cut 6-8 large trees (mulberry, oak, elm, locus) over several days. I would likely need at least 2 if not 3 batteries in rotation to keep it running all day. That much wood is not a frequent occurrence though.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
light and occasional medium duty you can get by with electric any bigger I suggest gas. This assumes you can keep a 2 stroke engine happy. I have a Husq Rancher with a 20" bar. The bigger bar is nice for tall people and downed trees. I recently bought a corded pole saw and it does cut nicely. I occasionally look at small corded saws because sometimes all you want is small but with my property on the edge of the woods I knew my first one had to be a good size

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
light and occasional medium duty you can get by with electric any bigger I suggest gas. This assumes you can keep a 2 stroke engine happy. I have a Husq Rancher with a 20" bar. The bigger bar is nice for tall people and downed trees. I recently bought a corded pole saw and it does cut nicely. I occasionally look at small corded saws because sometimes all you want is small but with my property on the edge of the woods I knew my first one had to be a good size

I have the same initial thought. I have a TON of trees on the property and walking it all the other day I noticed a bunch of dead ones that need to come down as well as saw first hand the damage from our 12”+ snow storm we had a few weeks ago. What is currently in need to be taken care of, I’m guessing over a few weeks worth of work a few hours at a time with an electric saw with charges and my limited time window to actually get out there to work. That’s totally fine, I’m just an over thinker and usually go overboard on what I actually need vs what I want.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
I've had a Stihl MS290 with a 20" bar for several years. I've been tempted by battery saws, but I can't justify replacing a saw that runs perfectly well. I did, however, buy an Atlas battery pole saw from HF last spring. It's done a great job so far.
The main advantage to gas is run time. This summer I cut 6-8 large trees (mulberry, oak, elm, locus) over several days. I would likely need at least 2 if not 3 batteries in rotation to keep it running all day. That much wood is not a frequent occurrence though.
This. I can’t see myself going out and dropping almost $200 on an extra battery just to get another half hour of cut time. If I get into the mindset that cutting/working is a slowed down process (which it should be) I think a battery one would be fine. it would also be nice to be able to go help my neighbors in my subdivision if anyone else has a downed tree without calling it quits after 25minutes.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I have an Echo 14" gas chainsaw that I purchased almost 10 years ago. If I was starting over, I'd seriously look at battery powered, especially for a chainsaw, since it's not something I use very often. I recently picked up a EGO leaf blower--mostly so I could task my kids with cleaning up the deck and for drying the car and it's really convenient to just pickup and go vs breaking out my backpack blower.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Was just talking to my neighbor, he said to definitely get a gas saw first since it will be my only one for a while and add on a smaller battery one down the road for small stuff. Sounds like a plan.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
I have an Echo 14" gas chainsaw that I purchased almost 10 years ago. If I was starting over, I'd seriously look at battery powered, especially for a chainsaw, since it's not something I use very often. I recently picked up a EGO leaf blower--mostly so I could task my kids with cleaning up the deck and for drying the car and it's really convenient to just pickup and go vs breaking out my backpack blower.
I was watching videos on some new echo ones last night, the people loved them