GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Need Advice

swcrow

Autocross Champion
So most likely the most un-fun topic of the year in the off-topic lounge, but need to ping the masses and ask for advice.

Found out a few months ago my MIL had Hep C (has evidently had for 30 years and medical community misdiagnosed all along), and yesterday tests confirmed she's now in stage 3 cirrhosis of the liver.

I'm so fed up with her local docs that I want to do some analysis and research on my own. Does anyone or has anyone ever known or dealt with family/friends that have had this?

What does she do? Where does she go? What can even be done? Any good resources?

Everything I read is......grimm.

Really appreciate guys.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
There have been impressive advancements in Liver transplants. Including living donor transplants since you don't need your entire liver to live.

Google living donor transplants or look up the Mayo clinic. It's not an impossibility that something can be done.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Hey thanks so much for the note. I'll dive into the Mayo clinic to see what the first step is (and how in the world to start the process) towards a transplant....had NO idea you could do a living donor transplant....like a kidney donor I suppose.

Again...much appreciated. Any other thoughts/comments welcomed

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Thanks Fed... Much appreciated.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
I'm a physician and deal with Hep C patients from time to time. Unfortunately most of them are very low on the socioeconomic latter and can't even consider any type of advanced treatment. As with live transplant considered above, there is the drug Harvoni. I am unaware of the hoops and hurdles one must endure to get it or even get it covered but I have heard of it happening. Either way, truly hope you find something that works for you mother in law and she experiences recovery in the near future.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Thanks bayarea and giacuser... Great responses and I'll dive into each of them, especially the harvoni mentioned.

My MIL received Hep C during a birth complication back in the 70s, so it was hard to hear after all these years of it being misdiagnosed and now too late for many of the treatments.

I'll update this thread as we progress down the road.

Last edited: