GOLFMKV

Civic TyR Shredder

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

DAS_STIG

Banned

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I was being chased around Buttonwillow by my buddy in his Type R with the factory wheels and tires. Those cars are FAST. Embarrassingly so for me since my car was on NT-05s and is not at all stock. The auto-rev matching and traction control and adjustable suspension and everything just works.

But his tires were TOAST and we needed to rotate them after less than 5k street miles and 2 track days. He was both driving the hell out of that car and using up every last bit of those tires. Not at all surprised.

What does surprise me is that Honda decided that 20's would be a good idea on this car. Who would have thought you'd have DUBS on a Honda, stock.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Too bad they're so ugly.

So is it faster than the golf R?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Too bad they're so ugly.

Around a track? I'm not sure. I don't consider myself a good driver, but I do alright. My buddy has had more track time than me for sure, but I wasn't able to walk away from him as much as I would have expected, even just straight line stuff.

Hey perfect timing!
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...gen-golf-r-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-comparison/

Yeah it's fast, and it's real good.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Too bad they're so ugly.

Motortrend clocked the Type R beating the Golf by about ~3 seconds on Willow springs. As they come stock the type R is the fastest non premium hatch you can buy.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
type r is a dedicated track weapon. It's a toy, just like a motorcycle or jet ski. It'll alway be faster mod for mod.
Mod for mod, doesn't the type R blow up sooner?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Mod for mod, doesn't the type R blow up sooner?
The limiting factor would be the fwd more than anything. 306 is about all you'll ever get out of that drivetrain without things getting messy. Haldex on the R allows you to basically brute force as much power as you want on that thing.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I've seen near to 500hp with headwork and maxing out the stock turbo and fueling. Honda builds great engines. This was on a track car, so fwd traction is less of a concern as it would be on a street car. Honda brought their A game.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
I've seen near to 500hp with headwork and maxing out the stock turbo and fueling. Honda builds great engines. This was on a track car, so fwd traction is less of a concern as it would be on a street car. Honda brought their A game.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it really is a beast of a machine. Obviously the money didn't go into the interior or materials but the stock seats feel amazing. You don't even think they will be that good until you sit in them. The density of the foam is perfect. It's not like recaro foam hardness, but not regular civic softness. They found a good medium. The chassis is way more competent than a GTI or Golf R, and the brakes are great. I know bc my friend has a Golf R and Type R and I've had some decent seat time in both modded and stock CTRs. Still, the Golf platform is a better do everything car, but the Type R is more of a performance machine.