GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch GONE at 600 miles....new MK7 record??

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So, after having an awful buying experience and months of frustration, I thought I was out of the water with my new 2017 sport, ready to just enjoy it with no headaches. Then, 2 nights ago with 600 miles on the odo, bye bye clutch!

I was in disbelief. I tried all the usual clutch slip tests and it failed with flying colors lol it was slipping in every gear really bad. I had JUST gotten off the phone with the GM from the dealership I bought the car from who was looking to clear up the last issue we had, this was the last thing I wanted :mad: I'm not tuned, know how to drive a manual, don't ride the clutch, don't think I'm the Stig, etc.

I take the car to a new dealer service center, which has great reviews, this morning to see if they could sneak me in. Receptionist says I'm lucky, the lead master tech (20 years VW experience) is in and there was a cancellation so he had a few minutes to take a look at it. He took me on the highway in the car and confirmed the clutch was gone, explaining everything along the way. Very knowledgeable and nice guy, who personally assured me he would vouch for a complete replacement and install/adjust it perfectly himself.

Luckily they said clutch and wear items are covered 100% for the first 12 months/12K so no hassles there. I was impressed with their service considering I've gotten nothing but shit service at the other VW dealership.

So the car is with them until Monday when they will tear it apart and officially submit the claim to VW. Meanwhile, I have a disgusting dirty shitbox jetta loaner to drive around. Better than walking I suppose lol but not by much.

I'll post updates but, out of curiosity, is this the lowest mile GTI with a bad clutch to date? I picked it up with 100 miles and only put 500 on it. The tech said, considering it was notchy from day 1, they must have really beat on it those first 100 miles on its way to the dealer :( exactly why I wanted a factory order in the first place...

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Wow. WTF else can the universe throw your way. Glad you're getting treated better at your new dealer vs the last.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Too bad you can't have them go ahead and put in an aftermarket clutch now with free labor.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
The bright side is you can drive a Jetta much more aggressively than a GTI.

The fastest car in the world is a rental car after all.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Why did it have 100 miles on it? Was it a dealer trade? If so, your dealer is shit. A good dealer would have sent a flatbed with their trade to bring it back

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Why did it have 100 miles on it? Was it a dealer trade? If so, your dealer is shit. A good dealer would have sent a flatbed with their trade to bring it back

Hmm, maybe where you are, but I've purchased a couple of cars over the years from dealers who had to get it from a hundred or so miles away, and in both cases some dude drove it up. I'm not doubting you--and man, I agree, it sure should be standard--but I haven't heard of anyone I know having the dealer truck the car in.

Demetrius Joel

Ready to race!
Hmm, maybe where you are, but I've purchased a couple of cars over the years from dealers who had to get it from a hundred or so miles away, and in both cases some dude drove it up. I'm not doubting you--and man, I agree, it sure should be standard--but I haven't heard of anyone I know having the dealer truck the car in.

100 miles is way too much for them to be driving it. should have def been trucked over. i would have been heated.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Mine had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Sounds like some asshole beat on it driving it to the dealership.

That's likely exactly what happened. Dealerships shouldn't let people who like driving be runners. :p

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I can't imagine what kind of crazy crap someone would had to have done to have cooked a clutch in 100 miles. It's just too short of a distance. Even riding the clutch pedal and slipping it most of the way probably wouldn't completely kill a clutch (or close enough that it was gone 500 miles later) that quickly. I suspect a defect here, not necessarily abuse.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I think we have become used to these GTI clutches not lasting, but it's really bad. My old car, a Honda, my clutch lasted over 200k miles.

ashiun

Ready to race!
I think we have become used to these GTI clutches not lasting, but it's really bad. My old car, a Honda, my clutch lasted over 200k miles.

torque, #1 clutch killer