GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compartment filter

Zelini

Hello,

I have a issue where the car starts to smell a little bit, like a wet dog... I think I have to test to change the compartment filter.
Has anyone done it yet with their car? I read somewhere that you need to desinfect the box where the filter sits. Anyone done it yet?
Which is the best filter to use?

Best regards.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hello,

I have a issue where the car starts to smell a little bit, like a wet dog... I think I have to test to change the compartment filter.
Has anyone done it yet with their car? I read somewhere that you need to desinfect the box where the filter sits. Anyone done it yet?
Which is the best filter to use?

Best regards.
Hi , changing that filter is quite easy, it is something I do on an annual basis.

I have tried the foam spray to clean but I do not feel that it is needed for the common smell that develops from an overdue filter change.

I use the Mann CUK 2939 with charcoal activated filter, I am able to get it through amazon but You may be able to find another source in your location. OEM filter from the dealer is fine to use also.

https://a.co/d/0zie5rF

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Replace the filter, and get into the habit of turning the AC off and leaving the fan on for a minute as you pull up to your destination. These cars will get funky with the AC, but if you run the fan it seems to dry the ducts out and minimize the smell.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Hi , changing that filter is quite easy, it is something I do on an annual basis.

I have tried the foam spray to clean but I do not feel that it is needed for the common smell that develops from an overdue filter change.

I use the Mann CUK 2939 with charcoal activated filter, I am able to get it through amazon but You may be able to find another source in your location. OEM filter from the dealer is fine to use also.

https://a.co/d/0zie5rF
Just a heads up that filter is only compatible with the Mk6; Mk7 part is 26 009. OP has a Mk8, which I believe is the same but not 100% sure.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is the first Golf that DIDN'T stick like dirty socks after a year or so. And this is first Golf that's a real PITA to change. I've had some big mechanics struggle to push up on the release thingys. And, no matter how anyone does it, they always lose at least one rubber bumper. I keep a couple spares at all times.