GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Here are two videos recorded by Sophia Calata. They are both in German with English subtitles. The first one, regarding the Clubsport, is noteworthy because Ms. Calata can be seen standing in the rain for a least half of her comments. She gets points for that alone. Also, as someone (probably another American) remarked in the next video, he had no idea what the woman was saying but he couldn't take his eyes off her. He has a point. Golf 8 GTI Clubsport | Günstiges Leasing wie noch nie? - YouTube

The other video features the Golf R. It's noteworthy because Ms. Calata focuses most of her attention on trying to demonstrate the R's drift mode. As she explains at length, getting an R into the drift mode is neither easy nor intuitive. Not only must you first choose the drift mode, but then the driver also has to find and turn off the R's electronic stability control (ESC) or the R simply won't drift. Ms. Calata further explains that using the haptic controls is difficult, very distracting and not something a driver is going to want to do in traffic. That seems to be a consistent theme in most Mk-8 videos. VW Golf 8 R | Mein nächster Alltagswagen? - YouTube

Last edited:

qshashaa

Ready to race!
First time I see an Mark 8 in person. They do look really good 👍

Attachments

• C4549A80-5FDF-4BAD-9C24-020B40CD6759.jpeg
    C4549A80-5FDF-4BAD-9C24-020B40CD6759.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 415
  • 912E04A0-5CE4-471F-B737-9FE2AD1BE1B5.jpeg
    912E04A0-5CE4-471F-B737-9FE2AD1BE1B5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 412

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
Not great ... Top Gear long term review of golf R.
Because it’s a Golf, I often used to approach the R with a ‘it must be me, not the car’ mindset, thinking we’d eventually ‘click’. But conversations I’ve had with Volkswagen engineers and insiders prove they know the Mk8 Golf is a massive mis-step, and they’ve got work to do to rebuild our trust in their design choices.
And for Golf 8 in general:
It’s been a difficult car to digest, the Golf 8. In any guise, not just the R. For so long the everyman benchmark, it’s now crammed with unforced errors and cost-saving. Today, no Golf is the best car in its class. Need a boggo hatch? Get a Focus. You’re badge-conscious? 1 Series. GTI? Nah, Focus ST. Clubsport? i30N and change, please. R? Probably the best of the bunch. More fun than an M135i or S3, faster and more composed than an A35.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Not great ... Top Gear long term review of golf R.

And for Golf 8 in general:
I’ve just traded in my 2020 M135i xDrive for a 2021 Mk8 GTI, sure, the BMW was quick and capable, and is built very well, with a high grade interior, BUT oh my was it dull! SO VERY DULL! I never really ‘connected’ with the BMW, I’ve driven many Mk8 GTI’s over the past year, and finally found the right car, a 2022 with Pan roof, W/pack and DCC in Kings Red, not once did the clinical M135i make me so much as smirk, let alone smile!, On each occasion I’ve driven one, The GTI made me smile before I even got it out of the dealers lot, having owned many VW’s and several GTI’s, it just felt right, sure, the infotainment can be a chore, and the interior build cannot match the 1series in terms of material quality, but the driving experience and overall feel of the GTI wins for me every time, I know I’ve made the right choice and won’t look back.

Last edited:

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
For those of us in North America with a more limited selection of trims, etc. This video convinced me that the S trim with the same power, differential, digital cockpit, ACC heated seats/wheel and more is the way for enthusiasts to go. No sunroof to leak or add weight up high, an actual volume knob instead of unlit slider, I don't see why you would want to spend any more on a FWD car, may as well go straight to the R if the GTI S doesn't do it for you.

brokenmatt

For those of us in North America with a more limited selection of trims, etc. This video convinced me that the S trim with the same power, differential, digital cockpit, ACC heated seats/wheel and more is the way for enthusiasts to go. No sunroof to leak or add weight up high, an actual volume knob instead of unlit slider, I don't see why you would want to spend any more on a FWD car, may as well go straight to the R if the GTI S doesn't do it for you.
I love my top trim sorry to disagree. 😁