GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Couple questions about setting up some stuff

stinkykitten

Hi everyone I just got my golf mark 8 couple days ago from my girlfriend because she is at work overseas and I wanted to know some couple questions. I'm not tech savvy sorry. I really appreciate everyone's help :)

1.) how do you permanently bring up the MPG when you are driving? I want to see what MPG I'm doing when I'm driving.

2.) How do you reset miles? I bought a 2 year old mark 8 and it has the current miles on I want to start from 0 and see where it takes me in couple years time

3.) Where is the drive select? It's always on eco mode?

4.) How do I turn on all the lights inside my car when it's nighttime? I can't see the volume buttons etc because it's not light up in the dark.

If there's anything else I need to know please tell me I really appreciate everyone's help 🙏

veedoubleya

1) various buttons on the right side of the steering wheel - best just to play around and press. Average MPF and instantaneous MPG can be displayed. View button changes between types.
2) When you have the appropriate VIEW to show stats you can reset by pressing OK.
3) Drive select is a physical button in the centre of the car's dash - called MODE. If your car is set to ECO or SPORT it will always default back to COMFORT at the next switch on/switch off. So even though it says ECO it's actually in COMFORT..
4) the volume and temp are unlit. Luckily this doesn't matter as the unlit volume control is always under the large central lit screen - and neither the screen or volume control move. Find the screen and you find the volume control directly beneath. Same with temp - the temp is displayed at all times on the lit screen and the unlit temp control is always directly underneath the temp numeral. Nothing moves to the controls are always directly underneath lit objects.

Silverstoned

For #4, you can also press the heated seat image in the lower corner of the infotainment screen. This will get you to the clima controls on the screen so no need to use the unlit dash buttons... ever.

veedoubleya

For #4, you can also press the heated seat image in the lower corner of the infotainment screen. This will get you to the clima controls on the screen so no need to use the unlit dash buttons... ever.
As will pressing the temperature numeral. I don't have heated seats.

Also no sliding required, just tap works fine.

stinkykitten

1) various buttons on the right side of the steering wheel - best just to play around and press. Average MPF and instantaneous MPG can be displayed. View button changes between types.
2) When you have the appropriate VIEW to show stats you can reset by pressing OK.
3) Drive select is a physical button in the centre of the car's dash - called MODE. If your car is set to ECO or SPORT it will always default back to COMFORT at the next switch on/switch off. So even though it says ECO it's actually in COMFORT..
4) the volume and temp are unlit. Luckily this doesn't matter as the unlit volume control is always under the large central lit screen - and neither the screen or volume control move. Find the screen and you find the volume control directly beneath. Same with temp - the temp is displayed at all times on the lit screen and the unlit temp control is always directly underneath the temp numeral. Nothing moves to the controls are always directly underneath lit objects.
Hi thank you so much! In regards to number 3 I do not see mode anywhere. Where is this located at? I don't see it? As you can see only 3 lights shows up. I don't see mode.

Attachments

• 20230525_230348.jpg
    20230525_230348.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 41

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
If you see sometimes 'eco' on the dashboard, this means that currently the car is in some fuel saving regime - working on 2 cylinders, start-stop is engaged, coasting mode is on, etc. This is not a Drive mode where you can select eco, comfort, sport, individual, but a separate function of the car for fuel saving. Obviously you don't have the drive mode button. The Eco mode toggle can be found somehhere in the menus, but switching it off won't stop it entirety. As suggested, check the manual of the car via entering your VIN in the VW's website. There is plenty of information about the car's systems and behavior in it.

veedoubleya

It doesn't look like your particular car has Drive modes. If it had the Mode button is a 4th button ,beneath the Clima button in the cluster of buttons around the hazard warning light control.
You car will be in the default Comfort mode which has some short lived eco settings as per the post by "orlinst".

stinkykitten

It doesn't look like your particular car has Drive modes. If it had the Mode button is a 4th button ,beneath the Clima button in the cluster of buttons around the hazard warning light control.
You car will be in the default Comfort mode which has some short lived eco settings as per the post by "orlinst".
Hi is there a reason why I don't have the mode button? Did they forget to add it when they built the car or something lol. I will check the VIN later when I'm on my break. Thanks all.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi is there a reason why I don't have the mode button? Did they forget to add it when they built the car or something lol. I will check the VIN later when I'm on my break. Thanks all.

It depends on the model / trim level of your car. I’m guessing your car’s either a ‘Life’ or ‘Style’ model; if so then VW didn’t forget to add a mode button 🤣, as neither of these models have one or the associated Driver Profile Selection. All models above the ‘Style’ in the mk8 Golf range do have this functionality (i.e. the R-Line, GTE, GTI, GTI Clubsport, GTD, R and R 20th Anniversary model).

As @CH47AV8R has suggested - it’s worth going through the owner’s manual. Not the most exciting thing to read by any means, but it might answer some of your questions and you’ll probably discover certain features and functions of your car that you didn’t know existed! 🙂

stinkykitten

It depends on the model / trim level of your car. I’m guessing your car’s either a ‘Life’ or ‘Style’ model; if so then VW didn’t forget to add a mode button 🤣, as neither of these models have one or the associated Driver Profile Selection. All models above the ‘Style’ in the mk8 Golf range do have this functionality (i.e. the R-Line, GTE, GTI, GTI Clubsport, GTD, R and R 20th Anniversary model).

As @CH47AV8R has suggested - it’s worth going through the owner’s manual. Not the most exciting thing to read by any means, but it might answer some of your questions and you’ll probably discover certain features and functions of your car that you didn’t know existed! 🙂
Hi just got out of work and looked for the code. It shows I have the mode on the manual? I have attached but I clearly don't :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_123415_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_123415_Chrome.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 31

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
The manual shows info for all variants not just for your specific variant. So just because it's in the manual doesn't mean that you have it.

stinkykitten

Don't worry, the modes don't make much if a difference.
So it seems when I pull back the auto stick it goes to 'S' I assume that is sports mode? Well that sucks I want drive select aswell :(
But why the hell does my manual say it has modes? I'm confused. Maybe it's hidden somwherre in my car lol