GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

cb1111

Anyone into vinyl at all? We’re thinking about getting a turntable and decent (without breaking the bank) setup, but am not really familiar. Any input would be appreciated. It would be nice to be able to pick up something on Black Friday prices.
You young'ns are so funny. I sold high end hi-fi in the 70's and understand how fragile vinyl really is (and how it can sound far better than other platforms.

You need to focus on arm weight and the cartridge/stylus combo - don't cheap out on that - the rest is mostly the same.
I picked up an Audio-Technica (AT120-USB) turntable a few years back, and it's been great. Sounds great, and being able to rip your vinyl to digital is a nice feature to have. The only drawback is that the arm is manually operated, and won't auto-return after the last track on the side.
OMG - manual operation.

That said, auto lift at the end is nice but not imperative unless you let it click,click, click for hours.

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of new Thorens turntables with Ortofon cartridges and a snap, crackle and pop machine for sale. The turntables will need a pre-amp to bring the output up to the appropriate level.

Hell, I also have a Harman Kardon Citation 16/17 combo if anybody is interested.

Happy Thanksgiving All

Phur

Autocross Champion
I picked up an Audio-Technica (AT120-USB) turntable a few years back, and it's been great. Sounds great, and being able to rip your vinyl to digital is a nice feature to have. The only drawback is that the arm is manually operated, and won't auto-return after the last track on the side.
I’m actually more stressed about the rest of the setup. Should I run it to my existing 5.1 home theater, or get something like a set of powered bookshelf speakers?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Dry meat is not a word in this house. (I just cursed it)

We have LED lights that change color. I never take them down, we use them as white lights throughout the year and change color for the holiday.

I did white led at the old house for Xmas, I really liked the backlighting effect it gave for the windows of the house. Provided excellent “security” lighting, without allowing folks to see in.

Phur

Autocross Champion
You young'ns are so funny. I sold high end hi-fi in the 70's and understand how fragile vinyl really is (and how it can sound far better than other platforms.

You need to focus on arm weight and the cartridge/stylus combo - don't cheap out on that - the rest is mostly the same.

OMG - manual operation.

That said, auto lift at the end is nice but not imperative unless you let it click,click, click for hours.

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of new Thorens turntables with Ortofon cartridges and a snap, crackle and pop machine for sale. The turntables will need a pre-amp to bring the output up to the appropriate level.

Hell, I also have a Harman Kardon Citation 16/17 combo if anybody is interested.

Happy Thanksgiving All
The H/K stuff seems outside the scope of this project. I’m curious about the turntables, but would prefer something that didn’t need a separate preamp. What are your thoughts on this?

Phur

Autocross Champion
Separate would give an old school authenticity
That’s kinda what I was thinking. The vinyl setup would be in the back of the living room. The home theater in the front.

the

Autocross Champion
Happy Thanksgiving guys. I know I've been a dickhead on these forums from time to time. I hope you can excuse my lapse(s) in humility. I won't make excuses for my behavior. But I have done a lot of learning through pain and failure over the past few years that makes me want to be a higher version of myself.

Don't forget to eat a deviled egg for Jim today.

Status
Not open for further replies.