GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

D40 or D40x

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
is the d40x worth the extra 100-150 bucks? for the lower iso and high mp... i heard the x has more noise too..?

looks like im gonna be getting it myself for xmas since no one else got it for me this year :cry:

JhnR

Banned
i wish i knew about camera, i would love to take random photos.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
f random photo's gotta whore the car

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Generally, if you add more megapixels to a camera without enlarging the sensor size, you get more noise.

But from what I've read on the D40 vs D40x, if you already own a D40, it's not much of an upgrade other than slight bump in megapixel and slightly faster. But then again, for a $100-150, that just might be worth it for you if you are looking for that little bit extra.

Here's something to read if you haven't already:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
well mike, you being a pro would you think that

10 megapixel sensor
Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)*

is worth the extra 150?

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
Get a used D80 call it a day.

But to answer your question I would say, Yes I think it is worth the extra 150 for ISO 100 and larger sensor, ISO 100 especially if you plan on doing any long exposure HDR work. Get that ISO down to reduce noise in HDRs.

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
The sensor in the D40x is the same size as the D40. Only differences made is what's posted by David above.

This is from the website:
dpreview.com said:
Firstly dynamic range, not only maintained but indeed improved, the D40X clearly demonstrates better highlight range and a softer 'roll off' just before the clipping point. Next noise, which while slightly higher than the D40 certainly isn't something you'd ever be able to distinguish, even in a big print. Next lets consider processing time which apart from a 0.3 second slower record review is essentially unchanged. Lastly, moire, the six megapixel sensor in the D40 exhibited some clear moire, this issue doesn't trouble the D40X.

I think it is worth the extra money. Having the lower ISO and higher megapixel count without significantly affecting noise levels is definitely a plus. The increase in continuous shooting is negligible, in my opinion. Speed isn't a necessity for me, but even then, .5fps is minimal.

If you're looking for a slightly more "serious" camera, a used D80 works very nicely. I'm not too sure of the market price on that one but I think it's about $150-200 more than a brand new D40x.

Hope that helps!

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
i dont like used things and i can barely afford a d40x so i'll weight my options a d40 with $ for a extra lens or a d40x

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
the only thing i dont like about the D40 is that youre limited to digital lenses. but if you can afford the x version then i would go for it.

and remember when buying glass..you get what you pay for!...most of the time atleast lol

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
the only thing i dont like about the D40 is that youre limited to digital lenses. but if you can afford the x version then i would go for it.

and remember when buying glass..you get what you pay for!...most of the time atleast lol

wait can you elaborate on this im a noob w/ camera's.... dont the d40 & d40x use the same lenses or are compatible...with each other...

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
wait can you elaborate on this im a noob w/ camera's.... dont the d40 & d40x use the same lenses or are compatible...with each other...

Becasue the D40 does not have an internal focusing motor, auto focus functionality will only work on newer AF-S lenses that have their auto focus motor built in. So you wouldn't be able to use the auto focus functionality on, say, a Nikon 105mm AF Micro or the ever popular 50mm 1.8D AF which rely on a cameras internal focusing motor to focus.