GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

D40 or D40x

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
Becasue the D40 does not have an internal focusing motor, auto focus functionality will only work on newer AF-S lenses that have their auto focus motor built in. So you wouldn't be able to use the auto focus functionality on, say, a Nikon 105mm AF Micro or the ever popular 50mm 1.8D AF which rely on a cameras internal focusing motor to focus.

pretty much nailed it lol

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
i thought the D40x doesnt have a built in af motor

dpreview said:
As with the D40 the D40X doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor which means it can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive motor (AF-S and AF-I lenses). The lack of a drive motor can be seen by the missing mechanical focus drive pin on the lens mount (see images below).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/

:happyanim: :wink:

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
i thought the D40x doesnt have a built in af motor

Right. That's what I said. Not really a big deal for a beginner. With a few exceptions, Nikon's newer DX format lenses are all AF-S. There is a TON of great glass out there that is not AF-S though and unfortunately you would have to focus manually if you mounted them to the D40......or D40x, if that is were the confusion came from. I guess I should have said D40 series. HTH

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
got it :thumbup:

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
Thats good to know. That was one of the reasons I went with canon.

When it comes down to it it's just a number they use for a cameras base sensitivity. They being Nikon and Canon. For example the new D300 has ISO 200 as it's base. Photos shot with the D300 at it's base ISO are comprable to the D200's base ISO 100. I think people, myself included, often get stuck on the numbers, when it is the results that should be compared. But thanks for the loaded question. :laugh: