GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

D5100 vs T3i

tricky713

Ready to race!
My 21st birthday is approaching and my grandmother offered to buy me the Canon T3i. (my mother told her I wanted it). I decided to do some research on the camera and noticed the Nikon D5100 is very comparable. I've gone to bestbuy and held both in my hand and I like the feel of the Nikon more but the interface of the Canon is more user friendly. Based on any experiences which camera would u recommend. (not my first DSLR). Also how do the nikon and canon lenses compare to each other. (I've only used a canon before).

Thanks, and I know. pretty awesome gma

AdvanSuper

Banned
D5100 compared to T3i from DPReview

Image quality, iso performance and overall performance is better on the D5100, but it falls off in other sections compared to the T3i

tricky713

Ready to race!
lol thanks but that doesn't really help. I know how they compare spec wise but i'm looking for more of a personal input

AdvanSuper

Banned
Use whichever you want? There's no better personal opinion/input on what YOU like than your own. Canon and Nikon have their own lenses as well as 3rd party companies if one has a 50mm, 10-20mm, 200-300mm etc etc so does the other manufacturer.

You said the Canon felt more user friendly and you've used them before, so you either go with something you know or take the gamble and try something different.

One person will say Nikon and another will say Canon, you won't get the answer you're looking for.

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
I think it's pretty pointless to compare cameras in the same price group when it comes to picture quality, etc. It's all down to personal preference since they will all perform more or less exactly the same once you get to know the camera.